AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a STB Nitro MPact2 video card. It was part of a Gateway system that did not include a DVD drive. I'm interested in using it in a HTPC with DVD. I've found drivers that work with it, but have not found a DVD player that will work well with it. Any suggestions? A software interface called Entertainment Center was included with a 3Dfusion Mpact I once owned. But I don't have that software any longer. Is it still available somewhere? And would it work with this STB Nitro card?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Neil

·
Registered
686 Posts
Neil,

Cliff Watson is the best person to answer your questions, really. But since I'm still using the 3DFusion (and love it, after the RFI filter removal), here go:

My 2 cents:

Since the Mpact2 processor doesn't get along all that well with software players such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, ECenter should be used. I don't see why you couldn't use it with the STB, and would guess that the 3DFusion's drivers would also work too.[EDIT: look at Cliff's post below, seems my guess was wrong]

I think
www.digitalconnection.com

can still provide you with the Mediaware 99 CD.

BTW, on a thread from 6 months ago, regarding the 3DFusion RFI mod, I believe Cliff Watson stated the Mpact2 integrated into the mobo had the slightest edge on picture quality, followed by the AGP version, then PCI. If you also plan on using dTV I'd definitely suggest the AGP version, due to bandwidth restrictions on the PCI version.

Anyway, if you had the Fusion, then replaced it, why would you want to go back to one??? though it's none of my business, really http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

regards, RC

[This message has been edited by Ricardo Cruz (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Neil,

The STB Nitro MPact2 video card uses a nonstandard implementation of the Mediaware software and will not work properly with the 3DFusion version. You need the software that was supplied by Gateway.

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support. I replaced my original 3Dfusion because at the time I wanted to use a TV as a monitor for internet and such and my projector for movies. The Mpact card would not output windows to the TV. I have a Radeon card now. But came across this Gateway computer and discovered that it has a STB Nitro Mpact2 AGP card. Strange thing though is that the computer, as originally delivered by Gateway, did not include a DVD-ROM drive at all, nor did the software package include Ecenter or any other DVD player. I don't really know what this computer was shipped with a DVD decoder AGP graphics card and no DVD equipment or softwear. This is not a new computer, its a couple of years old, BTW. So, Cliff, you answered my question. Seems that without nonstandard software this graphics board is useless to me.

Thanks again for the help.

Neil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.