AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KCET-DT in L.A. runs at ~14 mbps in L.A. on their main digital channel, and use the remaining ~5 mbps for a standard definition digital simulcast of their analog channel. Pixelation is very noticeable on fast/high motion images due to this extremely low bitrate for 1080i.

It's a shame since they have really great true HD-Cam video programming (few of it, but it should grow with time). I don't notice this pixelation on 1080i HD-Cam video programs Discovery HD through Charter HDTV Cable.

What transmission rate are other PBS stations running their HDTV channel on?

·
Registered
51 Posts
WETA here in DC has been transmitting at 12 point something for the past few weeks. Absolute crap. I'm glad I've already seen the eight shows they recycle (OK I'm exaggerating).

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is your station multicasting? That cuts into the available bw drastically. The ABQ station is not and the bitrate is around 18; the picture is reference quality. The Chief Engineer is commited to keeping it there, but you know how politics works. So far so good. JR

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jerrich
Is your station multicasting? That cuts into the available bw drastically. The ABQ station is not and the bitrate is around 18; the picture is reference quality. The Chief Engineer is commited to keeping it there, but you know how politics works. So far so good. JR
yes, they're multicasting one channel at 480p 4:3 at 4.9 mpbs (simulcast of their analog channel), and the HDTV 1080i channel at 14.9 mbps. This is horrible considering that 480p Superbit DVDs are at around 9 mbps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by VeryBadBoy
My local PBS stations broadcasts one main HD channel and one sub-channel but uses 720p since 1080i at the lower bitrate is too low quality. With 720p even with one sub-channel the quality is excellent!
What local PBS station is this, I want to send an e-mail suggesting they do the same in Los Angeles?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.