AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there positive gain screens that don't have the sparkle/shimmer effect? I see some people on here who like high gain screens, but don't these hurt the image with introducing issues like sparkles? Or are these people sitting far enough back to where they can't see the sparkles?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Are there positive gain screens that don't have the sparkle/shimmer effect? I see some people on here who like high gain screens, but don't these hurt the image with introducing issues like sparkles? Or are these people sitting far enough back to where they can't see the sparkles?
Here is a screen fabric report that umr did and maintains. Has a bunch of positive gain screens, see what he has to say
http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

For the record my Dalite HP 2.8 does not have any issues other than it's narrow viewing cone.. shame they don't make the HP anymore.. I dread it ever needing to be replaced... we like a 110" LCD looking display.. ;-)

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
Yes, anything above 1.0 is going to show something in terms of sparkle. Some less than others. A lot of people don't notice them though unless they are sensitive to it unless they sparkles are really bad. The screen report above is a good resource.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The Dalite 2.8 does not sparkle at all.
A Stewart 2.0 does quite a bit and looks terrible.

Regards
David

·
Registered
920 Posts
Haven't seen a screen above 1.0 gain that doesn't sparkle to a certain degree. The higher the gain, the more it sparkles. My penthouse neighbor had a dalite high power (2.8) screen a few years ago. It looked great for its intended ambient light fighting use, but it was a sparkling beast.
By the way, not everybody hates a sparkling screen, some people love the look. In my case, I'm aware that my screen (1.5 gain published, 1.1-1.3 real world) sparkles a bit, but it's never distracted me from the content I'm viewing nor has it been a problem with anyone else. The Elite Starbright 7 is the only screen I've seen that sparkled to an objectionable degree for me.
How much sparkles are noticed and objected to varies from person to person. Some people can have a sparklefest screen like a Black Diamond and not be annoyed in the slightest, while others will notice even the slightest bit of sparkle and be annoyed to no end.

·
Registered
32,864 Posts
The Dalite 2.8 does not sparkle at all.
A Stewart 2.0 does quite a bit and looks terrible.

Regards
David
Jeff Meier noted it sparkles (in the report above) when viewed at closer distances.

I own and use the 2.8 gain HP screen. I see sparkle. Not all the time, but if viewing from the right (wrong) spot I see it. I then move my head to another spot to make it go away.

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
I own and use the 2.8 gain HP screen. I see sparkle. Not all the time, but if viewing from the right (wrong) spot I see it. I then move my head to another spot to make it go away.

When I had one, I would rarely, but regularly see a super bright sparkle - like a pixel sized bright spot shining back at me. It wasn't the subtle shimmer I rarely see on my ST 130 G3 in very bright spots. It was more like a tiny lighthouse light shining at me. Yes, I could move my head to make it go away, but talk about taking you out of the movie experience. So even the 2.8 High Power wasn't immune to gain related issues.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There must be some other artifact to cause any kind of sparkle coming off the 2.8 since all the beads are 7 micron in size and very consistant in mfg.
I can,t see a physical mechanism of the screen to create a sparkle. It's possible a video content might create one, but I never seen it on mine.
They need to bring this back because I need a 120" wide one now!

Regards
David

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
There must be some other artifact to cause any kind of sparkle coming off the 2.8 since all the beads are 7 micron in size and very consistant in mfg.
I can,t see a physical mechanism of the screen to create a sparkle. It's possible a video content might create one, but I never seen it on mine.
They need to bring this back because I need a 120" wide one now!

Regards
David
No it is a rouge bead. I have seen them under the microscope. They are not where they should be, either hanging out of the substrate or stuck on top. After several cleanings I think I have one left that is ever visible. Many times if you just gently rub the area with a cloth it will remove or preposition the rouge bead on the 2.8

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yes, to my knowledge all gain screens will have some amount of sparkle. As umr noted in the report linked above even the DaLite 2.8 does sparkle. Some people are just less sensitive to the effect. I am very sensitive to it so I had to get a non gain screen or else I would be constantly "looking" for the sparkle effect on bright scenes. The brighter the scene the greater the sparkle. Put up a scene that has snow in it and look out!

One of the best gain screens I have had experience with is the ST 130 but it is pricey. Keep in mind the need for a high light output PJ if you do not have a gain screen. My next PJ will need to have more light output than my current one to satisfy me.

And even if a manufacturer says it is a gain of 1.0 it could be closer to .8! That is 20 percent less light output than 1.0!

So if you are one of those people who is less sensitive to the sparkle effect found in all gain screens then good for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts