AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
All current DVD players output in either 480i or 480p. Anything more than this would simply be line doubling, as the content on the disks is stored in 480 lines. There is much talk about HD DVD players. Right now the technology is limited by:

1) The availability and high cost of blue lasers that are necessary to store enough data to contain a two hour movie on a single DVD.

2) Copy protection issues. Studios are unlikely to allow HD DVDs until there is adequate copy protection. It is unlikely that you'll see a HD player with component out that does 1080i or 720p.

--Louis

·
Registered
864 Posts
I believe it is likely that eventually there'll be digitally quadrupled DVDs (960p).

1080i or p would require scaling which is not a god idea at all, and specially for getting a slight vertical size increase from 960 to 1080.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sorry that is not true. A 1080i conversion from 480i can yield a very nice picture. Why do you think people spend $1000 or more building a home theatre pc that can output dvd's to 1080i? I have yet to see one but they swear it makes a world of difference and I would probably believe it. I would be sometime soon some one comes out with a home theatre pc in a dvd box that does the same things people are building. IT won't happen till more people have HDTV's

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
HTPC is probably the best way to go. The RPTV would have to be properyl calibrated for full HDTV to take advantage of it. A nice clean DVD upsampled to [email protected] or [email protected] would both produce excellent results when viewed on a properly calubrated screen. Most RPTV's now have a simple upconvert to prevent scanlines, but a true upconvert would also help hide scaling artifacts and help draw out more fine detail. Most out-of-the-box sets also may not be properly calibrated to resolve that much resolution.

Cheers.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
Sorry that is not true. A 1080i conversion from 480i can yield a very nice picture. Why do you think people spend $1000 or more building a home theatre pc that can output dvd's to 1080i? I have yet to see one but they swear it makes a world of difference and I would probably believe it. I would be sometime soon some one comes out with a home theatre pc in a dvd box that does the same things people are building. IT won't happen till more people have HDTV's
What is not true, that it is better to quadruple to 960 instead of scaling to 1080i? That's my point.

Of course, people with large screens require to go beyond 480p in order to avoid noticeable scan lines. It not only looks better but it's a must.

But again, why bother with scaling? Vertical size is virtually the same with 960 and 1080.

The next step would be to avoid A/D conversions with a quadrupler and do it digitally from the player. Or perhaps products that handle digital outputs from a DVD player.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A few points...

A/D conversion: That's why a HTPC is a great option, as they process and scale in the digital domain without any A/D conversion. If you are lucky enough to have a HDTV with DVI or other digital input there is no D/A conversion outside the TV.

960p/1080i: Big diffrence 960p produces 960 scanlines 60 times a second. 1080i produces 540 scanlines 60 times a second ( or 1080 30 times a second ). 1080i may be advantagious because I don't know of too many TV's that can do 960p YET. The nice thing is that a HTPC can do both with little change to the PC besides a video card that can support these resolutions.

Personally I would like to see a HTPC DVD player that can change resolutions so that progressive source ( film ) ir run at the highest progressive resolution ( 540, 720, or 960 ) and interlaced materal is run at 1080i.

It would also be nice to have a screen overlay that can do an assortment of neat things like ( fishtank, window, night sky, ... just to have running in the background while the HTPC is doing double duity as a audio player.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I still think that my original answer stands. As far as standard DVD players go (not HTPCs) right now units only put out 480i or 480p. Sure, someone may later come out with a unit that scales up from there, but it's still that scaling. It'll be a while before we see HD DVDs.

--Louis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.