AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here and have been researching receivers for a little while. I have an old sony receiver w/o any digital decoding in it so this will be my first experience with using digital inputs. I'm concerned about the delay's that I've been reading about here when switching inputs, starting a DVD, etc. while the receiver decides what type of signal it's getting. It sounds like the H/K's seem to be the worst offenders, and that bothers me because I'd been leaning towards the HK 325. Most people here just seem to accept the problem as a fact of life, but it seems like it would be really annoying. Two questions:

1. Do ALL receivers have this problem? Other models I've been considering are the Denon 1804 and the Onkyo TX-SR601. Would either of these be less prone to the problem. I'm not sure how to duplicate this without buying the receivers and bringing them home because the places I've been testing them out don't have them hooked up to multiple sources for me to test switching like that.

2. Is it really not that big a deal? It seems like it would be really annoying (especially in the extreme cases where it has a problem at the start of every track on a CD).

Thanks for all your help!

John

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My Denon 5803 has a significant delay. It's most annoying when toggling between two sattelite channels when one has a DD5.1 audio and the other is simple 2.0 analog. I'm a multichannel watcher and this occurs often.

The only way around it is to disable the auto surround mode but I accept it as a fact-of-life.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know anything about the units you're looking at; I have always had separates. Ihad a B&K Ref20 pre/pro that didn't have a lot of delay (definitely less than a second). My current Classe SSP-75 also has very nearly no delay switching between digital inputs - however, it eats the first note, which is sometimes quite annoying. I don't care on movies (who cares about the first note of the studio's standard intro?) or on DSS, but it's very annoying on CDs.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
No delay to speak of on my Elite 45TX. There is a **very** brief delay going from 2 channel to DD or DTS; maybe 1/4 second, and absolutely no delay on CDs that I can discern.

Sorny

·
Registered
389 Posts
I too thought this would be VERY annoying...but still opted for the HK7200 for a number of reasons.

Now..after listening to her for few months...If my sweet little baby-doll wants to take a quick breath between channels..thats OK sweetie...You deserve it.

No really, I've never had it delay on CD's...On DVD's ONLY when switching from Menu's (D2.0) to the movie...(DD5/7.1 or DTS)...And then, its typically ocurring during the intro song or "Marquee's"

On DirecTV..I have a Tivo...and it delayed ANYWAY...so I don't notice it at all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.