AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much should i worry about getting a tv set with the geometry misadjusted? the reason i ask is because i bought a 36hs510 and the geometry is all out of whack! i tried to adjust it through the service menu, but since i am new at this i think its too hard - you fix one side the other gets messed up. my parents have a 36xbr(?) and the geometry is also not right (the only difference is they don't care). i will be returning this set, but, what if the new set is also a geomess? is sony known for this problem?

mjc

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It seems to be an industry-wide fact, that ALL tv's need to be calibrated after purchse.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
All the bigger (>27") CRT sets are never setup perfectly at the factory from my observation. To do it right you have to do it yourself I guess. I invested in an AVIA DVD for all the geometry and overscan test patterns and spent hours adjusting it in the service menu for each of the inputs and modes until I was satisfied. For HD mode, I had to wing it with broadcast material since there is no HD test pattern geneator cheaply available.

·
Registered
280 Posts
To elaborate on what's already been said, the question is not whether all current direct views have geometry problems, it's more about how bad do they have them and can they be adjusted through the service menu. It's a know fact, that the bigger the screen size is, the worse the geometry will be (out of the box at least), it varies from set to set, but this is usually the case. I'm unaware of any direct view set you can buy that will give you flawless geometry out of the box. I say find the set you're happy with and get it ISF'ed. Sure it may cost upwards of $250, but when you spend near $2000 on a set, is an additional $250 gonna kill you to get the best possible picture? I'm not saying that an ISF technician will get the geometry on your set flawless, but they can do a far better job than the average joe. I plan on getting my XBR800 calibrated as soon as Sony gets on the ball and corrects my vertical bar problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
mjcow:

From casual viewing, I think the geometry on my xbr910 is as perfect as I need it to be. To this point I have seen no bows, dips, obvious curves, or anything else which I think needs correcting (though I may want to do something with a slight red push and a bit of overscan).

The only thing I have noticed, and it's probably not a geometry issue, is that when I'm watching a football game using "wide zoom" (one of the stretch modes) one of the line markers (10 yard line, 20 yard line, etc.) seems to bend at the place where the wide zoom starts (which is about 25% in on either side). This happens only when the line crosses from the stretch zone to the non-stretched portion of the screen, but so long as you know what's happening its not bothersome. I haven't observed this phenomenon on any other material other than football games, by the way--I haven't identified this anomaly while watching golf, baseball, car racing, or other sporting events. (Naturally I'm talking about watching events in SD---this wouldn't be happening if the signal was HD.)

Regards,

Fitzie.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Get an AVIA DVD which has plenty of test patterns to let you check each mode for proper centering and distortions - they have a crosshatch line pattern with circles for that. You may not notice many geometry issues with regular viewing but its obvious with the test patterns.

·
Registered
280 Posts
An ISF technician is a person who is professionally trained by the imaging science foundation to tweak your TV using professional test patterns and equipment. These guys usually come equipped with $1000s in equipment to fix the color temperature, overscan, geometry, black and white level, etc. of your set. They usually use the same AVIA or Video Essentials disc as you buy in the stores, but access far more advanced test patterns, and do a far better job of obtaining the best possible picture out of your set than you can do by yourself. I have had two sets ISF'ed and couldn't have been happier with the results. These guys can make the best TV look better and more film like. I highly recommend their services for anyone watching HDTV. You can find an ISF tech in your area by checking:

www.imagingscience.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
Would they come to my house? Or do I need to get my TV at dealer who has such a technician so the TV set will be adjusted before delivery?

·
Registered
385 Posts
They're not gonna adjust your geometry under warranty for the most part. All tv's have geometry problems, especially flatscreens. Techincally, you'd get the best geometry from an LCD or plasma display, maybe a rear projection unit, but I've heard that thos samsung dlps, for example have some geometry problems anyway. Computer monitors are normally almost perfect, if not perfect of course, because of all the straight lines they display constantly. TV's have a much larger margin of error. Through my service mode on my Sony, I've gotten really close to perfection, enough to like it fine the way it is, but I know I couldn't achieve perfection, no matter what I did.

OH, and you don't want to get a brand new television ISF calibrated. Give is a few months break in with low contrast settings. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Kid,

I'm w/you on the ISF. I've owned my 40XBR since last Dec. and have been inquiring about an ISF calibration for this Xmas. I say this, but want to add that my 40"er does NOT appear out of wack in geometry, color, or really anything else that stands out for a real need to be calibrated. I thought this was a bit odd after reading this Forum, but wanted to give ISF a try and SEE if there's a dramatic difference afterwards. Perhaps I've been very lucky w/this TV thus far... We'll see what we can see...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.