AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
The Emotiva XPR-1, XPA-1, and XPA-1L run in Class-A mode for the first 50watts or so. Beyond that they go back into A/B.

Those are the cheapest "Class-A" amps I know of that do that.

XPA-1L being the lowest quality of the three, which is still pretty good (or so I've heard).

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23313270

The Emotiva XPR-1, XPA-1, and XPA-1L run in Class-A mode for the first 50watts or so. Beyond that they go back into A/B.

Those are the cheapest "Class-A" amps I know of that do that.

XPA-1L being the lowest quality of the three, which is still pretty good (or so I've heard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23313315

If you want a class A to 50 watts you can get a used Ada multichannel amp for less than those emo amps.

There is no chance either of these amps run to more than 5 watts in Class A mode. They would be cooking all inhabitants at 50 watts.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
I have a suggestion. If you want to try a lower powered amp that should sound like high end amps for the cheap and power all the speakers there is a used Ada PTM-850 on ebay for $350. This is an 8 channel amp that will run your Noesis to very loud levels. It is stable to 2 ohms as well. These are very nice little amps and for $350 you can't beat it. Your speakers don't need lots of power and using this amp can prove it. 85 watts into your speakers should get you to club or concert levels which would damage your hearing eventually anyways. I just came from a full Ada setup which sound really good but like what I have now better.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks MK, I'll look into it.

You're right about this being bad for the hearing, last night I was listening to music and I didn't think it was that loud. I look up and my wife had come downstairs and was trying to tell me something but I couldn't hear anything she was saying. It was weird because it didn't seem like there was enough volume to be drowning her out like that. I said something before turning it down and couldn't hear my own voice as well as I thought I would either.

I'm going to have to be careful... I use to always listen around 85 db's with the occasional cranking the volume. Lately it's been the opposite.
I can't help it, it sounds so good.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Yes, I don't go over 0 MV except for the bass. This way I reach anywhere from 100-110 dBs with music depending on source and my ears never get fatigued, ringing, or plugged. I used to get crazy and chase the highest spl with bass until I started to plug my ears all the time during a movie and it was not fun so I decided there is such a thing as too much overhead.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Oh yeah, that Ada amp will sound great and more powerful than the specs indicate. It would be interesting to try it out and see if the power of the crown matters at all. You know me, if you don't like it I may need an extra amp as I only use a 100 watt per channel 5 channel now.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23315918

Just when I think I do listen kinda loud, I read comments like yours
I rarely go over -15db MV. Haha. And my speaker levels are below 0db. I'm pretty sure my 90 watt receiver is all I need

Over the weekend I was getting a little crazy and at one point really let loose for about 20 seconds. I checked the receiver and the volume was at 15 over reference.

Yeah, I know, very stupid. I don't do that often, right now I'm at 20 under reference and perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23316161

Over the weekend I was getting a little crazy and at one point really let loose for about 20 seconds. I checked the receiver and the volume was at 15 over reference.

What have I got myself into? lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep. iirc, there are some Metallica framed album covers in some pics I've seen of carp's place...so, if it's anything as loud as the And Justice For All tour, I'll come prepared. lol

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23316475

Yep. iirc, there are some Metallica framed album covers in some pics I've seen of carp's place...so, if it's anything as loud as the And Justice For All tour, I'll come prepared. lol

Haha, don't worry Nate we will keep the volume in check for sure for the blind part and when I do crank it up for demo's later I'll keep the higher volume stuff at short durations.

Now, if I do start drinking a lot you guys might want to make sure I don't know where the remote is!!

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23316475

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a second. Are you saying you saw the on the Damaged Justice Tour? Oh man, am I jealous. That would have been the ultimate concert for me. Not a possibility of a bad song on the whole set, nothing but the first 4 albums - heaven man.
Even a teaser from To Live is To Die... I could go on and on...

Where was the concert?

·
Registered
444 Posts
That would be the one. It was the best performance of Metallica I've seen and I've seen them nine times. Municipal Auditorium '88. I was 16 and drove all my buddies there. Wish I could've seen Burton, but that all happened two years earlier. Anyway...Jason Newsted was an animal!!! And yes, only the first four does it for me.
Ok, ok, you're playing Metallica at the GTG now. lol

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny  /t/1472182/do-amps-matter-blind-test-gtg#post_23316607

That would be the one. It was the best performance of Metallica I've seen and I've seen them nine times. Municipal Auditorium '88. I was 16 and drove all my buddies there. Wish I could've seen Burton, but that all happened two years earlier. Anyway...Jason Newsted was an animal!!! And yes, only the first four does it for me.
Ok, ok, you're playing Metallica at the GTG now. lol

I was 14 when that album came out, and still too much under my parents thumb to be able to go to a concert. I've seen them 5 times, but not until the black album tour, so I did have songs I had to "suffer" through to get to the good stuff.

I've grown to appreciate the black album a bit as I get older, if nothing more than for the sound quality. It really does *sound* amazing. However it does not touch the brilliance of the albums before it and never will and when I play it it's bits an pieces more for demo purposes than anything else. When I put on Master of Puppets usually the whole album will be played.

Yeah, seeing Cliff would have been amazing but I still say the tour with Justice would be the best... because well.. you get songs from Justice.

Ha, it's not a GTG over here if Metallica is not played.

One song post Justice I do really love and I don't know why - Bleeding Me. For some reason it does it for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts