AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides dedicated calibration discs, do any actual movies come with the blue tint THX glasses for doing calibration?

I vaguely remember a DVD that came with them, so I was thinking maybe some blu-rays do as well?

·
23,032 Posts
None that I've seen, same for DVDs. Even if they did I wouldn't "trust" them. Look in the sticky thread at top for the Spears and Munsil disc. They talk about how hard it was to get correct color plastic filters.

larry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
None that I've seen, same for DVDs. Even if they did I wouldn't "trust" them. Look in the sticky thread at top for the Spears and Munsil disc. They talk about how hard it was to get correct color plastic filters.

larry
That's discouraging

Guess I'm off to buy a calibration blu-ray.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The thread title reminds me of a conversation I just had with a totally tech-newbie friend of mine. He has an old CRT TV hooked up with a VHS player. I brought up Blu-Ray and he said: "Yeah, I've heard of Blu-Ray movies. So...what's Blu-Ray movies like? Does it make everything look kinda blue or something?"

True story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/19552913

The thread title reminds me of a conversation I just had with a totally tech-newbie friend of mine. He has an old CRT TV hooked up with a VHS player. I brought up Blu-Ray and he said: "Yeah, I've heard of Blu-Ray movies. So...what's Blu-Ray movies like? Does it make everything look kinda blue or something?"

True story.

I believe you. Sounds like something that would happen in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze /forum/post/19552984

You can buy a pair for $1.99 at the THX store:

http://www.costore.com/thx/welcome.asp

Thanks, I may do that for a backup pair.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My TV has "blu only" picture control mode, removing the red and blue components from the video signal.

Even so, do I need blue filter glasses to help properly calibrate my HDTV?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nope. Just use the blue mode.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-sas /forum/post/19776742

My TV has "blu only" picture control mode, removing the red and blue components from the video signal.

Even so, do I need blue filter glasses to help properly calibrate my HDTV?

The blue-only mode, if it functions properly, is preferred to filters anyway. Usually in my experience the blue-only mode does function properly.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D /forum/post/19798144

But still has nothing to do with calibration.

I don't understand it.

In blue only mode subpixels having blue light phosphors active, red and green subpixels dead.

Wearing a blue filter glasses blue part of the spectrum visible, other part invisible.

They are one and the same thing, isn't they?

Now then, for what purpuses serves the blue only mode?

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/0

True story.

Should they not look blue.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts