AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running an RX-A3000 since the thing came out several years ago, 5.2+Presence ("dialog lift") setup with all 5.25" DT speakers (BP7002, CLR2500, etc.) and misc. speakers in other zones. I love the setup, I'm happy with the power output and sound quality for both surround and stereo listening as well as the zone support and app control (in place of the remote). Unfortunately, as I look forward to some new purchases, I'll have to replace this workhorse.

My needs:

1. Full HDMI 2.0 support/passthrough - 4K60Hz and 1080p120Hz, both 4:4:4 (for PC)
2. Full HDCP 2.2 support (for 4K Blu-ray, etc.)
3. App controls similar or better than Yamaha's current app
4. Power output as good or better than A3000 (with quality to match)
5. Dolby Atmos

Does any such unit exist or should I patiently wait for new AVR models this summer/fall? Any other features I should wait for? HDMI 3.0 8K? ;)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've been running an RX-A3000 since the thing came out several years ago, 5.2+Presence ("dialog lift") setup with all 5.25" DT speakers (BP7002, CLR2500, etc.) and misc. speakers in other zones. I love the setup, I'm happy with the power output and sound quality for both surround and stereo listening as well as the zone support and app control (in place of the remote). Unfortunately, as I look forward to some new purchases, I'll have to replace this workhorse.

My needs:

1. Full HDMI 2.0 support/passthrough - 4K60Hz and 1080p120Hz, both 4:4:4 (for PC)
5. Dolby Atmos

Does any such unit exist or should I patiently wait for new AVR models this summer/fall? Any other features I should wait for? HDMI 3.0 8K? ;)
wait for the new yamaha line up this year. if your happy with what you have a new 3050 will be simple swap.

·
Premium Member
93,254 Posts
The new Atmos Yamaha A2050 and A3050 models won't likely be released until Oct/Nov and 8k not for another 5 years. :)

The current Denon flagship 150W X7200W is Atmos/Auro 3D capable and will be upgradeable to HDCP 2.2 likely in June as well as shipping off the production line with the HDCP 2.2 chip likely around that same time frame.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new Atmos Yamaha A2050 and A3050 models won't likely be released until Oct/Nov and 8k not for another 5 years. :)

The current Denon flagship 150W X7200W is Atmos/Auro 3D capable and will be upgradeable to HDCP 2.2 likely in June as well as shipping off the production line with the HDCP 2.2 chip likely around that same time frame.
Thanks. I was tempted by the A3040 with the FW update, but I have learned my lesson not to buy any AVR unless it explicitly states that it does X, Y, and Z... or unless someone confirms that it can do X, Y, and Z on the forum. With the exception of an old tube stereo Mac I "borrowed" from my dad's garage, I have only owned Yamaha. I'll have to look into Denon's software features and support. I'll keep an eye on the X7200W for what the June update brings.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

My needs:

5. Dolby Atmos

You can just run the HDMI from the 4K bluray whenever that exists. You might want to find something without just Atmos given that it's only one of the 3D sound formats.

Quite likely, you're better off waiting. There's next to no real 4K media right now and there's only a few Atmos movies and they're all terrible. Also, until OLED 4K happens, the 4K sets in the market aren't very good.

·
Premium Member
93,254 Posts
Thanks. I was tempted by the A3040 with the FW update, but I have learned my lesson not to buy any AVR unless it explicitly states that it does X, Y, and Z... or unless someone confirms that it can do X, Y, and Z on the forum. With the exception of an old tube stereo Mac I "borrowed" from my dad's garage, I have only owned Yamaha. I'll have to look into Denon's software features and support. I'll keep an eye on the X7200W for what the June update brings.
The upgrade to HDCP 2.2 is a "hardware" upgrade and AFAIK, Yamaha has not indicated whether either the A2040 or A3040 will be upgradeable, rather D&M has been the only mfr that has indicated that any of their 2014 models will be upgradeable.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite likely, you're better off waiting. There's next to no real 4K media right now and there's only a few Atmos movies and they're all terrible. Also, until OLED 4K happens, the 4K sets in the market aren't very good.
While I agree that 4K OLED is beautiful, I find the current line of VA/IPS 4K TVs acceptable... and affordable. I'm less concerned with available 4K media (Blu-ray, etc.) and more concerned with HDMI spec adherence for the sake of connecting my PCs and other devices. I have no shortage of 4K material, I just can't accept my AVR being a bottleneck, and I don't enjoy bypassing it and dealing with multiple source inputs like I do now. It's a minor annoyance for me, but it's impossible for anyone else to operate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts