AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for lightguns for both my PS2 and Xbox. I have seen soem that claim HDTV and RPTV functionality(PS2 only), but that same one said it didn't work with plasmas. It can be found here:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...uctcode=PT0576

Is there any truth to this at all? Anyone have experience?

I have a feeling DLP is different than regular rear projection, but what do I know.

I have the HLM 437W.

Edit: I'd like to further cast my doubts by mentioning that the systems are hooked up through component and s-video.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good question! I would like to know the answer also, since Virtua Cop 3 looks like it will definately be worth owning, and playing with a controller blows.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
lightguns work by tracking the scanlines on a CRT. Since DLP and LCDs are fixed panel displays which don't use a scanning e-beam to draw the image light guns won't work with that technology.

-phil

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Most modern light guns expect to be working with a 480i signal. As you've found, there are some that now work with 480p. However, I've never seen any modern gun that could deal with the DLP's 720p, which is a bummer since light gun games are made for big screens.

Just for completeness, I'll point out that older technology lightguns do work with DLP's. Of course, you can also get them to work by pointed them at lightbulbs, but that's a different story. Still, Duckhunt on a 50" screen is pretty cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.