AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was wondering how any latest Samsung or Sharp Quatron type LED TVs compare to the greatest Panasonic offering at this time? Any calibrators or passionate owners know the facts (see the differences, etc)? Tx.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
There are numerous threads already with the pluses and minuses of plasma versus LED. LED, like all LCDs, suffer from poor side angle viewing, motion blur, ghosting, and non-uniform blacks across the screen, compared with plasma (and the VT30 is the best plasma, with the exception of the kuro). But it's what you prefer, not what we prefer. You need to go look at them in stores.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
I see the trolls are out tonight.

To the original poster, it all depends on what your picture "hot buttons" are. LCDs are very sharp, and bright. Plasmas have better blacks, dark detail, screen uniformity, off angle viewing, and lack of motion blur.

Michael

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I am familiar with the main differences. I was really inquiring on the latest models of the competitor's LEDs (and glad to see a post on the new Sharp Elite (Pioneer technology inside) for example).

·
Registered
16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus /forum/post/20819494

http://www.tweaktv.com/articles/elite-pro65x5fd.html

it outperforms the Pioneer Plasma PRO 151

And is considerably more expensive than the VT30 ($5500 for the 60", $8000 for the 70"), and still has poor side angle viewing, as mentioned in the review, compared to plasmas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

And is considerably more expensive than the VT30 ($5500 for the 60", $8000 for the 70"), and still has poor side angle viewing, as mentioned in the review, compared to plasmas.

Yes, so I just don't get how they justify that $1.5k premium (trying to get the past Pioneer fanboys hooked in?).

I thought that Panasonic was the one who owned some IP or previous relationship with Pioneer and expected this year's (or next) to have the Elite name and black level reputation built in their models. And now here comes Sharp (as if their Quatron tech wasn't good enough). Tx.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/20819186

There is the Sharp Elite Plasma/Kuro murderer. Wipes the floor with plasma.

Hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus /forum/post/20819494

http://www.tweaktv.com/articles/elite-pro65x5fd.html

it outperforms the Pioneer Plasma PRO 151

How many ways does it outperform the Pioneer? The only comparison he made to the Pioneer was that the Sharp's Black Levels were superior to the Pioneer. That's it. There is no mention of the Sharp beating the Pioneer in any other picture quality category aside from that one mention of it's black level. While that is an accomplishment, there are many more aspects of picture quality to consider as well, and i just don't see an LCD ever having the depth and soul and overall smooth natural image that a Plasma screen can provide. And the physical limitations of LCD screen technology will never allow for good off-angle viewing compared to Plasma.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelgiud /forum/post/20819736

Right, I am familiar with the main differences. I was really inquiring on the latest models of the competitor's LEDs (and glad to see a post on the new Sharp Elite (Pioneer technology inside) for example).

I've looked at some of the best Samsung, LG, Sony, and Sharp LCD TVs in the darker environments of a few Magnolias and Paul's Bigscreen stores and none of them were really all that comparable to a good Plasma - with the exception of the Sony HX929 series. The 929 gets much closer to Plasma than any other LCD i've ever seen and i really like it.

If i were to suddenly become allergic to Plasma and my doctor ordered me to get rid of my Plasma and replace it with an LCD TV, it would be the 929

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelgiud /forum/post/20818665

Hi. I was wondering how any latest Samsung or Sharp Quatron type LED TVs compare to the greatest Panasonic offering at this time? Any calibrators or passionate owners know the facts (see the differences, etc)? Tx.

Yes , they do and very well!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelgiud /forum/post/20820239

Yes, so I just don't get how they justify that $1.5k premium (trying to get the past Pioneer fanboys hooked in?).

No. The better LED LCD TVs are more costly to manufacture and even the current higher-end LED LCD TVs cost more than a similarly sized higher-end Plasma.

Quote:
I thought that Panasonic was the one who owned some IP or previous relationship with Pioneer and expected this year's (or next) to have the Elite name and black level reputation built in their models. And now here comes Sharp (as if their Quatron tech wasn't good enough).

Panasonic bought Pioneer's Plasma TV technology, and hired most of their Plasma engineers. Panasonic aquired some of those engineers even before Pioneer exited the Plasma business when they were getting ready to supply Pioneer with OEM Panasonic panels, but that deal was canceled before it ever came to fruition.

Sharp on the other hand has owned part of Pioneer for quite a while and started collaboration on designing LCD TVs even before Pioneer exited the Plasma business, and now employs some former Pioneer engineers which are now working on this new project. This could be a nice turning point for LCD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It comes down to personal preferences. I personally have not seen an LED or LCD that does not have the pixel lag or motion blur, and this bothers me, regardless of how bright an LED/LCD is. More importantly is the dreaded "Soap Opera" effect on 240Hz sets, which does not bother my father-in-law who has a 240Hz LED but drives me nuts and makes his TV unwatchable. So bottom line, you need to go do personal evaluation. Problem is finding a good retail store that has the right environment for a Plasma since most have ultra-bright display floors where LED/LED excel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Randy Walters, it really depends on what is important, and Sony's HX 929 series has taken a serious step to match plasmas balck levels. I would guess that most people are not viewing their TV's in complete darkness most of the time therefore high contrast black levels as found on plasmas, shouldn't be a major deal breaker.

Unless you plan on changing TV's every couple of years, reliability also becomes a major factor. I've experienced recently a plasma display failure after only a couple of years with my Panasonic. Repair centres will tell you that plasma display failures are much more common than you think. LED/LCD's are far more reliable than Plasma. Also failures of plasma tend to be more catastrophic/costly.

For me color detail, sharpness and brightness and decent black levels are what I am looking for in my next TV, it will most likely be the Sony not a Panny.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The Sony HX929 scored an "8" on CNET's Performance rating - the same as the Panasonic ST30 unit they tested - and below both the Panasonic and Samsung top-end Plasma sets.

"The Bad" -
Quote:
This extremely expensive XBR-HX929 shows some blooming artifacts, and its picture deteriorates more noticeably than usual when seen from off-angle.

Perhaps the Sharp Elite will indeed prove the best set in 2011 - but have only seen 1 review to date, and seem to recall "blooming" and "off-angle viewing" were raised as at least of some concern in that review. In any event, the pricing on the new Elites makes them destined for only a relatively few households.

Of course, no set is Perfect - and has been already noted each Technology (and each individual set) will have its own advantages & disadvantages.

Overall, reliability of HDTVs appear to be quite high, with only a handful of brands looking problematical.

CR's Reliability Survey is probably among the best gauges - based upon number of returns & apparent care taken in the survey.

While they do show an overall advantage for LCD over Plasma - the best LCD sets are at 2%, while the best Plasma (Panasonic) is at 3% - MOST of the LCD brands score 3% or higher.

CR also notes that "differences of fewer than 3 percentage points aren't meaningful." This leaves only 3 LCD brands, and perhaps 1 Plasma brand, that a cautious buyer might wish to avoid.

Certainly, if I have a problem with a set I have purchased, I will NOT be happy, regardless of whether I purchased a "2%" failure brand or a "4%" failure brand - but objectively it is likely just luck of the draw, exclusive of a bad production run.

As an example: we currently have around 10 plasma sets in the close family (mostly Panasonic, 1 Pioneer, 1 Samsung), and about 5 LCD sets -and, yes, will take some credit for that differential....

- To date, exactly ONE of the plasmas has had a problem (Power Supply on a Panasonic, repaired under warranty). OTOH, at least 3 of the LCDs have failed - all different brands: one received a new screen (installed in home), one was sent out for repair, and a third was exchanged. Therefore, from MY Perspective, LCD's are as unreliable of a purchase as one could hope (or, rather, FEAR!) to make.

NOW: Do I BELIEVE that "nearly all LCD sets are unreliable" - ? After all, that IS my experience.

Or do I write it off as "bad luck" - or, at least in one case, "Maybe should have purchased a better brand..." - ??

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I wouldn't buy the sharp elite based on that one review. I would first want to

see what cnet and some home theater critics have to say. especially at

those prices. that's what drove pio out of business. consumers didn't want to pay a premium for their sets.

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon240 /forum/post/20821092

Unless you plan on changing TV's every couple of years, reliability also becomes a major factor. I've experienced recently a plasma display failure after only a couple of years with my Panasonic. Repair centres will tell you that plasma display failures are much more common than you think. LED/LCD's are far more reliable than Plasma. Also failures of plasma tend to be more catastrophic/costly.

Consumer Reports does not support your claim that LCDs are more reliable than plasmas. Panasonic plasmas have the same 3% problem rate as Sony, Vizio, Sharp and LG LCDs. Panasonic plasmas have a better reliability record than Toshiba, Philips, Viewsonic, and Samsung LCDs.

Michael

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.