AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Normally, the DVD player does that when you set your player for a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Does your DVD player not support that for some reason?

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12870542

Normally, the DVD player does that when you set your player for a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Does your DVD player not support that for some reason?

Anamorphic is 2.35:1 so DVD set on 16:9 will have the black bars on the cinemascope aspect, right??

And I am more looking to do the "vertical stretch" with Blu rays/hd dvd's.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Ask in the Anthem AVM-50 or D2 threads. Those 2 pre/pros seem to have the most powerful scalers in them.

Ed

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/12874300

Ask in the Anthem AVM-50 or D2 threads. Those 2 pre/pros seem to have the most powerful scalers in them.

Ed

Ya I want the new 1.3 hdmi codecs..so those are out...

So I guess none of the new receivers can do this??

·
Registered
428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/12879579

Ya I want the new 1.3 hdmi codecs..so those are out...

So I guess none of the new receivers can do this??

Most of the new PJs out now do the necessary scaling for your AL to work.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The DVD Player, Projector, HTPC, or other scaler is what achieves the stretch before the anamorphic lens is introduced into the equation. This would not be the job of a receiver.

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack /forum/post/12880279

The DVD Player, Projector, HTPC, or other scaler is what achieves the stretch before the anamorphic lens is introduced into the equation. This would not be the job of a receiver.

I know all this.

But my DVD Player and Projector dont do it.

I was asking because a lot of these 1.3 hdmi receivers have HQV Reon chips that scale and upconvert so I dont think its a silly question to see if one might have and "aspect" function as well.

As far is not being the "job of a receiver", sure it could be.

They are mostly being touted as A/V receivers not Just A

Thanks for the lesson...but a reply of fact like, "no none do it" OR "yes here is a model" would be more helpful then a thought or opinion.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It surprises me that your DVD player does not properly handle anamorpic widescreen movies. All my DVD players have had that ability. And the vast majority of DVD movies advertised as widecreen are anamorphic and have been for quite some time. Seems simplest to fix the problem by getting a new player. The Oppo players supposedly have excellent video quality, and are quite affordable (by my standards, anyway.)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/12880404

Why dont I need them??

The new formats can be decoded in the players. In fact there was/is a thread that even talks about limitations if you decode in the receiver instead of the player. I haven't been too interested in this (yet) and so I can't elaborate - but shouldn't be too hard to find.

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12883260

It surprises me that your DVD player does not properly handle anamorpic widescreen movies...

This is not what the OP is talking about. I haven't seen any DVD players that can do what he wants to do. Besides - I think that all DVD players handle anamorphic DVDs in the sense that you are talking about - I think it's a requirement.

Ed

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you talking about a projection system that is capable of 2.35 : 1? Like what they refer to as a constant height setup?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12884561

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you talking about a projection system that is capable of 2.35 : 1? Like what they refer to as a constant height setup?

This may be related to the constant height setup - I'm not sure. But the OP has a lens to stretch the image horizontally from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1. But the original 2.35:1 movie stored on the 1.78:1 DVD image needs to be distorted by vertically stetching so that the black bars at the top and bottom of the image are cropped.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts