Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a component-to-RGB transcoder that will allow 480i input (and output) and not just 480p. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to feed game console systems using component video into my CRT PJ (RGB input only). Most systems have both 480i and 480p games, and I wish to use RGB for all of them.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macros,

Thanks for your reply. That is the unit I'm most interested in, but from what the specs list, it gives me the impression that it will only input 480p and above.

Do you know that it does 480i for a fact? If so, what about the KD-XB?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know for a fact that the CTCA2 will work in the sense that it will transcode 480i component to 480i RGB. The part you have to understand is it won't upscale the 480i component to 480p RGB, it will remain interlaced.

This is a problem if you are using a VGA monitor that won't sync to 15kHz but your CRT projector can probably scan that low so it should work.

The KD-XB should work the same.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect. That's what I was hoping.

As you say, my CRT projector will likely sync to 15Hz on the RGB input, which will allow me to use the RGB input for 480i as well. I'm trying to avoid having to resort to composite video for the 480i material.

Thanks Macros!

Shawn

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Shawn,

For not that much more money you could get a fairly cheap scaler or line-doubler (iScan Pro???) that will both transcode component to RGBHV and upscale the game console's resolution to 480P or higher so the image will be somewhat improved by eliminating scan lines.

Just a thought:rolleyes:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DHarp193,

Thanks.

Though it is my understanding that almost all scalers (at least the less pricey ones) only accept 480i input, even through component in. I would like to be able to use 480p, 780p, and 1080i when it is available as a source, which is pretty often now.

I hope I'm wrong, because that would be my favoured solution. Am I wrong?

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.