AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to make my fiberglass bass traps. I was wondering if it makes a difference if I concentrate them more at the front of the room on side walls and ceiling which won't look as obtrusive as other areas. I also have an "odd" corner in the side of my room where I'll place a large one also.

Should I be thinking on trying to spread them out more, or is concentrating them in one area okay?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Bass traps are primarily placed in the corners of rooms. There are many experts here that can answer your question better, but from what I understand, the corners of the room are generally where bass traps go.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
All other things held equal (same surface area, same volume, same materials, same number of paths to the absorber), the further they are apart the more they absorb.

Tri-corners are cool because all modes are found in tri-corners.

Front and side are cool because they can reduce early reflections and SBIR.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Generally, you'll see traps in corners. Typically traps are large and corners seem to be a nice place for large thingys so they don't get in your way. As Bob, noted, modal frequencies are always at their peak at the boundary (wall) ... and all boundaries come together in corners. Placing them in corners also "spreads them out".

Whether or not the trap will actually do any good in a corner will depend on the type of bass trap. Pressure type absorbers will work against walls and in corners (particle velocity is zero, pressure is at max). Velocity type absorbers work best well away from the walls (like hanging from the ceiling).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! That is a pretty interesting test Ethan. Using x amount of insulation making more 3" panels and spreading them out as opposed to thicker but fewer 6" panels worked better. I think I'll make sure I have them more evenly placed around the corners of the room.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong Ethan; although more 3" panels spread around is better than fewer 6" panels spread around, 6" panels are still better if using an equal number of 3" panels. Correct? And in all cases, if bass absorption is your only goal, then the FRK is always better as well?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ethan,

What else could be used as a facing if one has panels that aren't faced? Would something simple like a plastic drop cloth work if attached in the same manner as the FSK is?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Rutgar:

> 6" panels are still better if using an equal number of 3" panels if bass absorption is your only goal, then the FRK is always better as well? What else could be used as a facing if one has panels that aren't faced? Would something simple like a plastic drop cloth work if attached in the same manner as the FSK is?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Which is fine if all you want the facing for is to avoid overabsorbing the high end.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Okay, thanks for the clarification Ethan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.