AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that every picture I see of bookshelf speakers has them on stands. If they need stands then they take up as much space as towers, and therefore loose some of their appeal to me.

What I wonder is if bookshelf speakers would actually sound good on a bookshelf. I think that is the only way that I would find them to be a benefit.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
176 Posts
You want to be careful especially if they are rear ported. You need to make sure that you give the port at least several inches to breathe. Stands are the ideal solution, but its very possible to get good results on a shelf also. Best thing is to try and experiment with it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Most speakers, either bookshelf (despite the name) or floorstanding, sound best when placed alone away from surroundings. If you have to place them on a bookshelf, in addition to what Adam said, I would try to empty the shelf around the speakers as much as possible -- removing the books right next to the speakers, and immediately above and below.

[added in edit] Also, try to place them so that they are approximately at the level of the listener's head.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you're using them in conjunction with a sub and have plugged the ports is the bookshelf location less of an issue (assuming you take sushi's advice and keep them at head height and away from books, etc)?

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
I have noticed that every picture I see of bookshelf speakers has them on stands. If they need stands then they take up as much space as towers, and therefore loose some of their appeal to me.

What I wonder is if bookshelf speakers would actually sound good on a bookshelf. I think that is the only way that I would find them to be a benefit.

Any opinions?
These sound good on a bookshelf:

http://www.nhthifi.com/home_productI...p?ProductID=40

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.