AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, initially let me thank everyone for the wealth of information I have found on this forum and for any responses to this question. I am looking to make my first plasma purchase and based upon the information here I narrowed down my choice to the Panasonic 50HD7UY plasma. However, I have one last concern.

A local installer warned me that the Panasonic commercial plasmas produce a noticeable audible background noise. I told him that I knew that the early generations of the commercial plasmas used fans and thus produced some background noise, but that the newer commercial plasmas didn't use a fan and thus should be silent. He then told me that he was not talking about noise produced from a fan but instead was noise produced by the power supply. He did admit that he has only worked with that one commercial Panasonic plasma and did not know what generation is was.

Thus my question for you all is: Does the Panasonic 50HD7UY plasma create any audible noise?

Lastly, is there anyone in the Arlington / DC area who has a 50HD7UY that would be willing to let me see the plasma in action? or know of a place where I can?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,702 Posts
There were issues with some Panasonic plasmas buzzing from the power supply and Panasonic fixed many of them by replacing a PS component:

I don't think it made a difference if was a commercial or consumer model though, and this was a while back

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a 50HD7UY and it's very quiet. If I put my ear right up to the vent holes where the 2 fans supposedly reside, I can hear a very quiet humming. I'm guessing they're using variable-speed fans or something that only get going if the unit is incredibly hot. I've run it for hours and never hear them though.

edaly

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The first 3 months production of the TH42PWD4UY had some audible buzz from the scan drive boards, not the power supply. Most of these were modified under warranty and later production were modified at the factory.

Very low audible buzzes may be heard if you put your ear to the side of the plasma. Quite difficult to watch from this position however.

Fan noise has always been low following an initial surge as they come up to speed. Newer units have 2 fans versus the original 4 and the latest fans are very quiet. HD 42 and 50 inchers have fans. ED sets do not have fans.

T. Wiz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses............I'm glad to hear that the 50HD7UY is very quiet! However, several of the posts indicate that the 50HD7UY has fans.........but the in the "overview" of the 50HD7UY at the Panasonic website it indicates that the unit has "fanless quiet operation" (5th point from the bottom).

So does the 50HD7UY have fans or not?

If it does have a fan(s) that concerns me a bit.......I can't even count the number of fans that have broken down in my computers over years....man do they get noisy when they are on their way out........any thoughts on the longevity of the fans in the plasmas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.