AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. Long time listener, first time caller. My wife and I just recently purchased a new condo. We are really excited about it and especially looking foward to hanging a 50" plasma on the wall. About a week ago we attended the first walk-through and to our dismay the wall we intend to hang the plasma is concrete with drywall !! No studs or hollow areas (at least where we would like the plasma to go). Is it at all possible to mount the plasma AND run/hide the wires down? Internally? This discovery kind of discouraged us and any opinion and ideas is greatly appreciated. This forum is the one source I rely on for plasma info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have exactly the same problem, but it can be dealt with. My plasma is on order and I have a contractor coming late next week to hang it on a concrete wall. He's also going to (i) move an electrical outlet into the wall, behind where the screen will lie, (ii) move a cable tv, phone and second electrical outlet to the same wall, at the base, (iii) drill a channel in the wall into which he'll drop a conduit for the cables to the plasma, (iv) drill another channel, into which he'll drop a second conduit, in the same wall. into which he'll place speaker wire (which will run up to the molding around the ceiling, then around the top of the molding to the rear of the room for surround speakers), and then (v) plaster over the whole mess. It won't be pretty or easy (or cheap), but it's possible. That whole project is going to cost me an additional $1,000 (before the cost of repainting, but the room was due for a paint job anyway).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mounting the plasma shouldn't be a problem by using the proper sized concrete anchors, sometimes called "mollys". If the wall has drywall over concrete, you may be able to cut a channel in the drywall and patch over. If the wall entirely concrete and is poured in place (not concrete block) . . . the options are limited. Cutting into poured concrete can get expensive. Have you considered creating a floor to plasma drywall "bump out" on the wall to mount the plasma and run cables?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
"Mollys" are toggle bolts, and cannot be used on a solid concrete wall. However, there are fasteners available at any hardware store that will do the job: concrete screws, expanding bolts of various kinds, and lead or heavy-duty plastic wall anchors.

In order to drill a hole in concrete you will need a hammer drill with a masonry bit of the correct size. You can buy a consumer-grade hammer drill for about $60; heavy duty commercial quality hammer drills (almost miniature air hammers) cost several times as much, or can be rented.

Drilling the holes is simple but tedious work. The good news is that properly installed concrete fasteners are very strong, and two of them should hold any plasma safely. You also might want to consider fastening a sheet of 3/4" plywood securely to the concrete and mounting your plasma on that, which would give you latitude to move the set around a few inches. (BTW, you should check the rules of your condo association to be sure drilling in the walls of any kind is not prohibited.)

You can easily cut shallow channels in the sheetrock to hold your wires, and then use drywall tape and joint compound to finish the job before covering it with the same paint used for the wall.

All in all, this whole project should not be too much more difficult than mounting the plasma on conventional stud and drywall construction, although it will require some different tools and techniques.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Banny, If you haven't closed on the condo yet, you might have some clout to get the builder to help you with the project. At the very least, you might get his construction guy to consult with you on the likelihood of running a channel through the concrete block for wiring. Mounting with concrete fasteners should not pose a problem. Painting/ drywall touchup is always easy when a place is new.

The alternative might be even better - making a framed, drywalled popout - 4 inches deep by 50 or 60 inches wide - from floor to ceiling might look nice if space is not a big concern. The plasma could be inset to make it look super custom. This might also serve as a nice visual focal point with cabinets or speakers on each side. Good luck. Howard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Banny. One of my sad lessons learned in trying to hide wires inside the wall was when I had the home builder locate an electrical outlet directly behind the to be later installed plasma. My thoughts were that the plasma would hide the electrical hook-up. What I didn't count on was the depth of the plasma plug. It stuck out 3 1/2" from the wall (not counting the bend in the wire which I didn't want to overstress). The plasma, mounted on a standard wall mount gave me only 3" to play with. Eventually had to get a recessed wall outlet (and they're hard to come by).

Have fun.

bobsupra

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.