AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
More light output + more current draw fromt eh power supply, so if it is a bad design, then yes, you'll have fluctuations.

I can see this on old tired projectors like a Sony 722 where I boost everything to get a bit more brightness out of old tubes.

The power supply protests, but it hangs in there..:)

Curt

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
It's amazing to see how well most CRT projectors go through the battery of basic AVIA test as compared to 99% of direct view sets. The power supply regulation tests don't falter at all on my extremely high hour BG800 (23K hours) while all direct view sets I've tried have test signals that bend and warp in the same tests - some of these were not cheap direct view sets either!

The CRT projectors we use are built like tanks - most are for commercial use, not consumer use like direct view sets.

Kal

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The answer I believe is yes and the effect cabn be minimized but not completely e;iminated by a well designed, properly set up projector. The reason a screen has a black masking border (the frame in a fixed screen and the painted on black edging on a roll screen that is used with a CRT) is to hide the color fringing that occurs on the edges as the picture changes from light to dark. With a bulb projector this doesn't happen. I believe the fringing that occurs (it is very very slight in a well designed non blooming set, go look for it guys) is a result of the differences in the phosphors in the RGB tubes and may have something to do with frequency and wavelength of the primary colors. I could be wrong as to the reason BUT the effect is always slightly there on every projector I have seen.

·
Registered
199 Posts
well i don't see it on my ecp

my dv tv a toshiba 32" (cost me £1400 that's right ££) has the worst prob with this . it is so bad that sometimes you can see the edge of the image come on screen at the sides . it's a right pile of s***e

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.