AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a common practice for D* & E* to track viewer behavior using STBs or some other means to understand what programming is being watched by whom?

And if so, is this more powerful data than other ratings services?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If any of them do this they're not saying. It would be difficult to do if your box is not connected to the phone line, which many are not. Since the sat signal is a down-link only there would be no way for them to get stat data back from the box, with the exception of the phone line.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can prevent this type of thing with a simple tin foil hat.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I think there was something about Tivo doing this early on, but it was a scandal so the practice was stopped. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. If dish does it, then they have kept it secret.

PS: The tin foil hat is good for disposable situations, I prefer a colander myself.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I think there was something about Tivo doing this early on, but it was a scandal so the practice was stopped. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. If dish does it, then they have kept it secret.

PS: The tin foil hat is good for disposable situations, I prefer a colander myself.
Actually, if you have a Tivo, it does track what you watch still today (and there wasn't really a scandal, just some people waiting for the black choppers to show up). But not by individual. It does it by zip code. So they don't know that *you* watched Dragnet, they know that X number of people in your zip code watched Dragnet.

Many more details available on the tivocommunity.

Plus you can make a quick phone call to Tivo to "opt out" of the data collection. Personally, I *want* them to know I watch Dragnet so hopefully they will tell ABC and not cancel it (I think you get the idea).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.