AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know DVD+R and DVD+RW aren't as compatible with as many stand alone players, but as a general rule, do they produce a better quality recording?

If so, is it better sound?...sharper picture?...richer color?...all of the above?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
none of the above

·
Registered
196 Posts
The same reason we have like 7 flash memory card formats: desire to collect royalties and the desire NOT to pay other companies royalties. And yes, it does suck. Remember only DVD-R and DVD-RW are approved by the DVD standards body

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheLidlessEye
Remember only DVD-R and DVD-RW are approved by the DVD standards body
.. and DVD-RAM :D

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
among friends and family, I have yet to find a player that would play DVD-R that wouldn't play DVD+R (this includes my 6 year old Sony).

But, I have found a player that would play DVD+R, but would choke on DVD-R....go figure.

Go with what works for you and your player. If you are making a business and selling the DVD's then I would probably go with the oldest format (DVD-R).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Why did DVD+R and DVD+RW even come out if isn't an improvement?
Because it is an improvement. +RW allows you to play recorded DVD on regular DVD player without finalizing it and allows you to edit out unwanted content right on disk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can also begin a recording over an existing recording (supported by the format not all recorders support the feature). For example, I record a move and set it to stop after 2 hours. The movie is really 1:45. I can Begin the next recording at 1:45 (it'll be new Title).

The +R format (like RAM) has 2k sector writing not available in -R (better for data disks).

When first released, +R went straight to 2.4x while -R was still at 1x. There's no such thing as a 1x +RW disk. It's the competition that has pushed both to higher speeds (now the race is to get dual-layer recording out).

At one time Microsoft said the next version of Windows would support + only (they have since relented). They still list some advantages for Mt. Ranier DVD drives (DVD-RAM and some DVD+RW). Here's a link and a quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/...w_support.mspx

Quote:
Hardware Defect Management. Mt Rainier provides full hardware defect management capabilities. DVD-RW and non–Mt. Rainier DVD+RW and CD-RW drives perform no defect management, leaving the file system to perform this function in software, which is less robust and slower than a drive-based scheme such as that provided by Mt. Rainier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.