AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few night's ago I found myself very unhappy with the black levels of my Plus Piano because it seemed almost as bad as my former projector which I had up-graded from.

I then spoke to Russ which mentioned that some DVDs' black level sux on his NEC 9PG CRT too...in terms of looking grey. This feedback gave me some hope so I whacked in my reference DVDs like The Gladiator, LOTR and Brave Heart and it was true...the blacks were much much better then some of the movies I had watched lately: The Count of Monte Cristo and Hart's War. So don't lose heart when you see crapy blacks sometimes because it may be the software (DVD).

I am just curious as to why some DVDs can render black better than others. And it would also be great to hear some feedback from people who have experienced the same thing.

The weird thing is that you don't pick it up when you are watching television but the lack of blacks become very obvious when you whack it on the projector.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I found something interesting with my AE100. I could watch some of the movies I have on DVD, on HDTV (from the movie network channel) like Shrek and others. Black levels on the HDTV was for some reason that others may explain, vastly superior. I do know my DVD player needs an upgrade but it is way too big the difference.

And some shows on HD just look awesome! Maybe when I replace my DVD this difference will drop a little... Did anyone else notice this kind of difference between HDTV and DVD?

C

·
Registered
490 Posts
A lot of the issues we are seeing are due to poor film to digital encoding techniques. Case in point is Blade II ( PAL version ). The black levels on that have woeful shadow detail graduation. To get an acceptable image I needed to raise the brightness level within the DVD player and crank up the gamma a notch. Certainly compromises the image. Now this may have been the way the cinematographer and director wanted to portray the dark and gloomy atmosphere but I've seen it done a heap better with other titles.

Cheers :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have noticed the differences in black level when i compared my Toshiba 2901 DVD player to my Sony PS2. Their blacks are very different. For the PS2, I have to turn up the brightness on my TV to the point that it is becoming gray in order to see the different levels of black in a test DVD. Basically, what I found was that the contrast ratio of the PS2 is much lower than the Toshiba 2901 DVD player.

Try using a different player and see if you notice a difference.

James

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Oh my mistake,

My previous reply was about blacks with DVD players, not DVD software.

Ok, since you are talking about the black of DVD movies, Usually, when the movie is bright and saturated with lots of highlights in night scenes, the perceived black is higher than a movie with very little highlights.

An example of a movie with very little highlights is Devil in a Blue Dress. An example of a movie with lots of highlights is Black Hawk Down.

James

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lastort
Isn't this thread in the wrong forum?

:)
Not anymore! I have moved this discussion from the "Under $5000" forum to the DVD software forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.