AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of planning a new home. I want to make it as "smart" as I can afford to make it. I believe that I want to go with the HAI Omnipro II for control over security, cameras, lighting, HVAC, outside thermometers, home theater, etc. I want a wireless touchscreen to carry around with me that does all the previously mentioned. I also love for it to allow email checking and also show video from the security cameras. Any suggestions out there that are non-crestron affordable?

·
Registered
154 Posts
You could just get a Viewsonic Web Tablet and an AMX NI-2000 or a Crestron MC2E and you're right around your budget.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Interesting, Greg can you please expand a little on your comments, in particular the Viewsonic web tablet. How do the devices all fit together, what programming is required?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am doing exactly what you are trying to do, but for alot less $$.

Viewsonic Airpanel - 10" Available for around $700.

Basic Dell 2.0ghz pc - new from Dell about $375

Custom Automation Tech's amazing ACE program

www.customautomationtech.com - about $50-$60

Homevision for complicated IR, serial, and X10 macros - $400
www.csi3.com

This is all I needed. I have an amazingly easy to configure touchscreen using ACE...and it works flawlessly.

I have recently added on Main Lobby from Cinemar www.cinemaronline.com

which makes the front end really pretty. I still use ACE in the background, but now all of the Main Lobby buttons send "button presses" to ACE...so I can still control everything.

If you spend another $300 on winconnect xp from thinsoft, your xp machine can have multiple air panels attached to it. So, you could put airpanels all around your house. (I just did this too.)

Check out www.cinemaronline.com for more info about this.

I am in no way a programmer, but ACE coupled with main lobby was really easy for me to set up, and it works great.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate this help. This has been one of the tougher areas to gather credible info. Acaciolo, are you using something like the HAI system or something else?

·
Registered
459 Posts
yes...I also use hai omni pro 2 and HAL 2000. Although neither are for the touchscreen, theater automation.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you are using the HAI omnipro 2 for home automation and the computer setup that you described is for touchscreen control of those things controlled by the HAI system? Please forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
omni is for security only (turn on lights when alarm goes off, etc.)

home automation is controlled by touchscreen (ace and main lobby) with sends rs232 signals to the homevision. the homevision has all of my ir, serial, and x10 macros which control all 250 x10 switches!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.