AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
LG CX77, 5.2.4: Emotiva T1+/C2+/B1+/monoprice in-ceiling amber, SVS PB3000, denon x3700h, XPA9 gen3
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase the AKG K271 MKII headphones off of eBay (I know it's usually a bad idea). One of the sellers is an authorized retailer, so I'm sure those aren't fake. It would cost me a total of $160. Though going into med school, saving any money would be nice.

Another seller is selling them and will accept a best offer of $130 shipped. He isn't an authorized retailer. Does anyone know if people actually sell fake AKG 271's, or do they only make fakes of higher end phones or more well known names (like Senns)?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you buy off ebay, go with the slightly more expensive units from the dealer with an extremely good rating for over 20,000 sales. There does seem to be something "going on" with this model headphone, even Amazon.com has a sub-dealer selling them for $170. Maybe it is a model they are going to upgrade or discontinue, the K701 headphones went on a super sale just prior to the release of the K702 series, so you never know why the market reacts the way it does.

·
Registered
LG CX77, 5.2.4: Emotiva T1+/C2+/B1+/monoprice in-ceiling amber, SVS PB3000, denon x3700h, XPA9 gen3
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, from what I've come across on the net, they were already discontinued. I don't forsee prices dropping any lower, but my biggest concern is purchasing said headphones and finding out that they are fakes. I know many ebay sellers sell fake senns. I just wasn't sure if people sold fake k271's. It doesn't seem like the type of headphone anyone would bother making a fake of, since it isn't quite as popular or well known as other headphones, but it doesn't hurt to ask

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
AKG and many other companies such as Shure, have made mention that counterfeits of their products exist. For a new product from AKG your best protection is to go with an authorized dealer. You can contact the seller and see what he says then confirm that by contacting AKG. I take it you've already auditioned the phones.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovelin /forum/post/16995814

Well, from what I've come across on the net, they were already discontinued. I don't forsee prices dropping any lower, but my biggest concern is purchasing said headphones and finding out that they are fakes. I know many ebay sellers sell fake senns. I just wasn't sure if people sold fake k271's. It doesn't seem like the type of headphone anyone would bother making a fake of, since it isn't quite as popular or well known as other headphones, but it doesn't hurt to ask

AKG 271 cans are well known in the recording industry. We have several pairs in our studio. This probably be the target market for the knock-offs. There are even fake Shure SM57 microphones out there, but why anyone would attempt to clone a $75 mic is beyond me!

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Well you better put on your Nike's and buy something soon!

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan /forum/post/16999132

AKG 271 cans are well known in the recording industry. We have several pairs in our studio. This probably be the target market for the knock-offs. There are even fake Shure SM57 microphones out there, but why anyone would attempt to clone a $75 mic is beyond me!

A Sandisk Extreme 3 CF card costs less than that and are widely counterfeited. Thieves can make money off of fakes and that is why they do it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL at the NIRE! Anyway, yeah, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry in this case. Plus with the authorized dealer I am covered under the warranty, fwiw.

Anyway, I did get the try out a few different headphones, albeit not for very long. And I'm new to the headphone game, so I'm not sure how others compare headphones, but this is how I decided on the AKG:

The ATH A700 are a bit cheaper, but I've found that for closed headphones they do leak a bit of sound. They tend to be a bit heavy on the bass, which can drown out the low mids, and the highs tend to leave just a little to be desired.

The DT770's have amazing, albeit slightly boomy, bass, and are overall very "accurate". These are actually my ideal headphones. My issue with them is that they absolutely need a portable amp, and adding the cost of that to my budget is too much. Also I would be quickly annoyed with having to carry the portable amp around with me.

The K271's, are extremely "accurate", and are easily driven by an iPod (huge plus). They are wonderful at not leaking sound, and have AKG's amazing mids. The soundstage is a little narrow, but I'm okay with that. Though weak in the bass, the velour pads take care of this to a degree, though at the cost of less isolation. But since both pads are included in the box, I can stick with the pleather ones at the library, and when I'm at home use the velour ones to enjoy better bass. The k271's fall between the other two overall in SQ, but moreso on the DT770 side. This pretty much seems to cover all my bases, and that is why I have decided on these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts