AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason I ask this is I am in the market for a new set, possibly 60 inches, most likely 65 but I sit a little less the 11.5 ft away currently from a 60 inch which is fine. I read on another forum that someone had a 60inch Panasonic Plasma and the maximum distance for the glasses were 10.5ft as stated in the Panasonic's instruction manual. Suffice to say he did not see 3D from his seat distance which was at about 11ft, until he moved up. Does this also apply to the other brands because if that is the case then I can't buy a 3D set at this time, being that my furniture is actually non adjustable at this point.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There are two possible issues here... the degree of 3d effect, and the actual range of the glasses.

The panasonic uses IR glasses, so the manual is probably talking about the physical range of the ir emitter. Most sets have a VESA out, so if your glasses don't work at the preferred distance you can add an external emitter.

As far as the 3d effect, it will be more pronounced from a closer seating distance. That said, I sit about 8-10 feet from an 82" screen and it looks fine. If you don't get the results you want, see if the set lets you adjust for "depth" or "3d level", that might help.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be honest with you a 65 inch screen at 11 ft away looks very big still and it really is kind of ridiculous that the glasses might have a problem from that distance. I almost want to say that these TV companies are hurting themselves from every angle when it comes to the format. From not having enough material presently available, to having exclusive titles only with certain manufacturers, to not being able to have at least a 12 foot distance on a screen that's 65 inches, seriously come on get real.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Interesting... I will say... 3D for myself and others too, shrinks the percieved size of the screen by a lot. Not really for the range issues, but I find myself moving my seating up a few feet when watching on the 65" in the lving room. Screen size is an even more key ingrediant for good 3D as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Some TVs have IR transmitters that are stronger the those of other brands and some have optional IR repeaters.

Withe DLP link glasses the brightness setting of the TV affects the range of the DLP Link light flash.

Also AFAIK a low battery level can lower the range of any type of active glasses.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I most likely am going to purchase the Panasonic 65inch gt30. I sit exactly 10.7 feet away. I hope the glasses don't have an issue. I really couldn't see sitting much closer then that, the TV is enormous looking. I presently have a 60inch LED in my living room and even that's a nice size from where I'm sitting

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lee, have you tried further? Where do the glasses cut off around?

·
Registered
205 Posts
With my 63" Toshiba DLP using DLP link glasses I definately had that problem. I had to set chairs in the room at 8 feet or you would lose the link pretty often, from my couch at 11 feet there was no way you would get the glasses synced.

I tried everything and had no luck so I switched to IR glasses with a Mitsu. emmiter and have not had an issue with distance since.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 /forum/post/20848810

The only reason I ask this is I am in the market for a new set, possibly 60 inches, most likely 65 but I sit a little less the 11.5 ft away currently from a 60 inch which is fine. I read on another forum that someone had a 60inch Panasonic Plasma and the maximum distance for the glasses were 10.5ft as stated in the Panasonic's instruction manual. Suffice to say he did not see 3D from his seat distance which was at about 11ft, until he moved up. Does this also apply to the other brands because if that is the case then I can't buy a 3D set at this time, being that my furniture is actually non adjustable at this point.

I have a 67" screen and have both Xpan 102s and the Ultra Clear DLP link glasses. We sit at a distance of 12 feet from the screen and they hold their sync just fine. The Ultra Clears do have a sync issue if I leave my ceiling fluorescent bulbs on and tilt my glasses toward them. However, if I turn them off the sync issue goes away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 65" Mitsu using Ultra-Clear DLP link glasses. The main seating position is about 11.5" from the screen and I rarely have any issues. Most come, strangely enough, from IR interference from my remotes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.