AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to upgrade 5040 unit with 200 GB hard drive.

I have downloaded an image file and planning to upgrade the hard drive to 200 GB.

Question:

When writing an image of ReplayTV software to 200 GB hard drive, do I have to connect IDE cables of computer or can I connect to PCI ATA controller card connectors? Because of 200 GB, I am thinking my PC won't recognize entire 200 GB of space.

Also, do I have to connect the original ReplayTV hard drive when I am not going to use it after a single drive upgrade? It makes sense to connect the original HD when transferring shows to new HD; but if I don't plan to do that, why do I need the original HD? What information is transferred from the original drive to new 200 GB hard drive? If I have to connect the original hard drive to PC, can I use PCI ATA controller card connector?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
The answer to the question you have literally asked is yes, they have to be connected to an IDE cable. Otherwise you'd have to "wish" the data on there.

The answer to the question you're trying to ask is probably. There is an older version of RTVPatch that I found to have some issues with my Promise ATA card, but I believe the latest version should work fine.

As with most things, use common sense. Hook up the drive, fire up RTVPatch, and check to see if (1) it recognizes the drive, and (2) it sees the entire 200GB. If both these are true, upgrade should go fine.

The original drive doesn't have to be hooked up, but if you do you can copy over all your settings. Both drives should be able to be hooked up to the PCI card with no issues, they can actually be on the same cable if you set the jumpers correctly. Alternatively, you can download an image file for a 5xxx unit and just restore it to the new drive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.