AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what I was wondering is if I am connected to an old CRT tv and my buddy uses a 1080p tv will he see more of the game image than me on 480i? So I could get shot in COD because I don't even see the players in the game that are using 1080p on my 480i tv? Does that make sense?

Or is the content squeezed so no matter the resolution, everybody sees the same thing?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You would be looking at a 4:3 image, his will be the wider 16:9, so your view is narrower than his.
I imagine that depends on how they set it up. Think of open matte and pan and scan for movies, for example. It all depends on if the image is being cropped on the 4:3 tv, or if they're just opening up the picture.

And regardless, that doesn't really apply so much these days. Most games from the past few years will be letterboxed on a 4:3 tv with the PS3 and 360, maintaining the exact same view as that enjoyed on a widescreen tv.

That even includes some peculiar examples like all those Sega Vintage Collection downloads on the 360 a few years ago that featured only 4:3 material (Resulting in playing a 4:3 game in a window, on a 4:3 tv), demonstrating just how prevalent that has now become where even classic game rereleases do it.

And I haven't encountered a Wii U game yet, discounting the Wii U's Virtual Console and backwards compatibility mode, that displays full screen 4:3 when I've had it hooked up to my Trinitron.

It's all letterboxed 16:9, with full-screen 4:3 support all but extinct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd be inclined to say "yes", but it also depends on how large the TV is and how close the person is sitting. Not to mention how bad the input lag is on the HDTV, which could possibly put the HD player at a disadvantage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts