AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Tyro,

A screen with a gain of greater than 1.0 might seem like magic, but all they do is redirect the light. All the ratings are for a specific viewing position. None of these screens reflects more total light than it receives. A mirror might be considered a Super-Hi Power screen, but the hotspotting is horrible.

--Darin

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
They use one of those Big dry cell batteries we used to play with when we were kids. You know the ones that we connected to a big nail to make magnet:D

Can anyone tell me excpet for making a nail into a magnet, what are those things used for?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
This thread gave me the best chuckle I've had all day. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Dan, they were typically used in big ugly flashlights. At least that's the only other place I saw them used besides my "workbench" beside my nails.... :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Absolutely, or you can,t watch! I need to be plugged in also because they only work in tandom. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dan, if the battery is the same one I'm thinking of, they were used in Polaroid film packs to power the motor that spit out the 'instant' picture.

They were about 4" x 4". They only made a few "screen size" 4ft x 8ft ones for use with the Hubble telescope before it went digital. It was too costly for the Shuttle to collect the pictures it spit out. :p

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyro
I think I :D'd darinp
Yep, none of your previous posts gave any indication that you would understand this ;)

--Darin

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to admit, I ask some pretty good questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
Yep, none of your previous posts gave any indication that you would understand this ;)

--Darin

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
They require a 220volt dedicated line. I usually recommend a 50amp circuit on them as well. Call an electrician and have him disconnect your electric oven and tie that line into the screen. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
They require a 220volt dedicated line. I usually recommend a 50amp circuit on them as well. Call an electrician and have him disconnect your electric oven and tie that line into the screen. :)
Jason!

You sold me my DaLite HiPower!

Shame on you:D

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The only problem with Jasons method is you get all those damn bugs hanging around the screen and if one of them touches the screen, "buzz" and down they go. It gets messy after a while

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ok everyeone is making jokes but no one said how can it make more light without any additionnal energy. The screen cannot create more light out of nowhere so it has to come from somewhere. If not from batteries or from plugged in the wall then my guess is solar power. It uses the energy from the light of the projector and creates more light with it, that way its more light and therefore the name high power because some projectors are high lumens (1000+).

My best scientific guess.

[edit] Solar powered would also explain why it costs so much.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Grandarf,

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but the High Power does not make more light. No screen fabric does. All it does is focus the light that's already there, so that more of it is directed towards the seating position, and less of it is scattered around the rest of the room.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.