AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought about not posting this at all due to the overwhelming negative responses about the HST-11 but I figure why not post it? Most of you can fit larger woofers, multiple larger woofers, build multiples of tens of enclosures to fill up your theater rooms, etc. But some of us do not have that luxury and I am one of those people. I planned on using an HS-24 in the closet with a blow-through into the listening area but my house is simply too small.

After, literally, months of consideration I decided to build an HST-11 and use a pair of them in my 11'x11' theater room with an 8' ceiling. It takes up an extremely small footprint while being able to belt out a respectable frequency response. I employed a local high-end cabinet worker to build the box for the pair of woofers.

Upon initially talking to the cabinet builder I could tell he did not believe anything I was telling him. He is fairly into speakers and having someone come through the door saying they are going to send over 3,000 watts to a pair of 11" speakers sounds absurd. However, after simpy dropping off one of the 11" baskets that are used on the woofers he decided to double up the thickness of the wood. The following pictures are of the beginning of the enclosure build. There will be approximately 0.4" of distance between the pole pieces of the woofers after they are shoved into the tiny sealed box.

I will, of course, take FR measurements of the sytem after it is installed being powered by an iNuke6000DSP. DSP will be turned off for the inital measurements.

...Lord only knows what would happen if I would use some of the "magic sauce" on the HST-11's that I slather on the HS-24's. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That is one solid brick of a box. Small, sealed boxes can absolutely put down the bottom end. You just the right driver, in the right sized box, with enough power. I must admit; 3K watts to a pair of 11's (or 10's or 12's) does sound like a house fire in the making, but that box is obviously built to take it. In your small room you should be quite pleased with the results.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is one solid brick of a box. Small, sealed boxes can absolutely put down the bottom end. You just the right driver, in the right sized box, with enough power. I must admit; 3K watts to a pair of 11's (or 10's or 12's) does sound like a house fire in the making, but that box is obviously built to take it. In your small room you should be quite pleased with the results.
I know I said 3,000 watts but I'm going to be powering the woofers with an iNuke 6000 DSP. One woofer per channel. :D

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think it's awesome that you're making your own build thread, Nick! Personally, I think the smaller HST drivers you're offering are kick-ass, it's just that (as you said) there is limited interest from sone in this crowd.
The box looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished results.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think it's awesome that you're making your own build thread, Nick! Personally, I think the smaller HST drivers you're offering are kick-ass, it's just that (as you said) there is limited interest from sone in this crowd.
The box looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished results.
I really wish my room was bigger, but this is my first house and it's pretty small. But even though it's small I was still able to commandeer one of the extra bedrooms for a "movie" room. Thankfully my wife likes watching TV on big screens so it was an easy sell.

I literally couldn't wait for the enclosure to be build so I temporarily installed a single BM mkIV 12" subwoofer in a shoe-box-sized 0.5 ft^3 enclosure and used one channel of the 6k at 8 Ohms. I was surprised to still be able to get 110 dB at 50 Hz out of the tiny guy! The DSP in the iNuke is surprisingly easy to use and the EQ is the same. Super easily adjustable. Even though I'm not impressed with the amplifier unit itself I am impressed with the DSP and EQ of the amp. Maybe a little later I'll upgrade to a SpeakerPower. I am very impressed with those amps.

But anyway in closing I'm going to order a screen this week. I painted my wall knowing that I was taking a chance/risk in the wall being free of voids but I got hit in the butt upon firing up the screen for the first time. I've got a 1.5 foot wide by 2.5 tall area in the center top of the image that needs patched up. Instead of adding filler, block sanding, and re-painting it I'm going to go with an Elite Screen and put it on the wall. I'll take a few pictures of the room and wall once the screen comes in.

I will, however, take pictures of the dual opposed HST-11 enclosure this week after I pick it up. :cool:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
This will be a little beastie! That is a pretty small room, so this is a great way to not gobble up space with a big cabinet. Are you having it veneered or painted?

I went to a friend's last night that has some really nice enclosures for his sealed 18s. They looked TINY compared to my sealed enclosure for the 24.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts