AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Hsu HB-1 MK2's sound like anything I might be able to find at an audio store? I'm asking b/c if anyone can say they sound like "brand x" but a little different here and there, that could help me make a decision.

Do they sound like Energy's, Def Techs, Klipsch, Polks, etc? I know none are a perfect match, but let's say someone says they sound like Klipsch mostly and I don't like Klipsch, that would ex them off my list for example.

Thanks.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I have some Hsu speakers and have compared them to others. Despite the horns, they do not sound like Klipsch at all. The treble isn't nearly as hot. Klipsch has more sizzle in the highs. By comparison, the Hsus are a more restrained, even compared to speakers using regular domes tweeters on a flat baffle. Hsus don't really have an airy treble, but they have a nice big soundstage. Their bass is pretty capable too, its strong all the way down to 60 Hz, this is good if you want to cross over the sub lower than usual to reduce localization. I like them but there are probably other speakers that are more neutral for the same price, although from looking at third party measurements the Hsus are respectably neutral. I think something like Ascends or Behringer Truths probably have them beat there though.

The Hsu highs are not as sparkling as other speakers I have heard, but since they are not overcooked, it makes the speakers less fatiguing to listen to for long periods. My Infinitys have crisper treble, but after maybe 45 mins to an hour of music, my ears are ready to throw in the towel. The Hsu speakers are a lot easier to listen to for longer periods. I haven't directly compared them to Deftechs or Polks though. I am certain they would be better than Polk Tsi or Polk Monitors, both of which have a horrible tweeter. One more thing, the Hsus can handle loud volumes very easily, some other speakers get to sound bad for the same loudness that the Hsus can take with no problem, however don't hold me responsible if you get a pair and crank them and melt the voice coils! Here is a shootout that the Hsu speakers participated not too long ago.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1520323/do-hsu-hb-1-mk2s-sound-like-any-other-speaker#post_24422910

I have some Hsu speakers and have compared them to others. Despite the horns, they do not sound like Klipsch at all. The treble isn't nearly as hot. Klipsch has more sizzle in the highs. By comparison, the Hsus are a more restrained, even compared to speakers using regular domes tweeters on a flat baffle. Hsus don't really have an airy treble, but they have a nice big soundstage. Their bass is pretty capable too, its strong all the way down to 60 Hz, this is good if you want to cross over the sub lower than usual to reduce localization. I like them but there are probably other speakers that are more neutral for the same price, although from looking at third party measurements the Hsus are respectably neutral. I think something like Ascends or Behringer Truths probably have them beat there though.

The Hsu highs are not as sparkling as other speakers I have heard, but since they are not overcooked, it makes the speakers less fatiguing to listen to for long periods. My Infinitys have crisper treble, but after maybe 45 mins to an hour of music, my ears are ready to throw in the towel. The Hsu speakers are a lot easier to listen to for longer periods. I haven't directly compared them to Deftechs or Polks though. I am certain they would be better than Polk Tsi or Polk Monitors, both of which have a horrible tweeter. One more thing, the Hsus can handle loud volumes very easily, some other speakers get to sound bad for the same loudness that the Hsus can take with no problem, however don't hold me responsible if you get a pair and crank them and melt the voice coils! Here is a shootout that the Hsu speakers participated not too long ago.

Thanks for the shootout link. Read them all. They even had a link to some speakers I heard that I liked alot. The Martin Logan Motion 15.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts