AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a loyal Dish Network customer for years, spending over $100/month and always paying on time. In September, I got my first HD receiver and received a promotional price, which I didn't think was all that great. They told me their would be moer promotions when the prices came down on HD DVR boxes. I now have 2 LCD TVs and want both to be able to 1. watch HD and 2. record either SD or HD. Dish has HD DVRs with 2 tuners in them. If I get 2, I think I save $10 month by replacing 4 tuners with 2, but w/o a promo, they are over $500 each. They said they have a promo coming up 2/1/07, but I may not qualify bc I'm already in a promo. I asked for a manager to figure out whether or not I qualify and they said nobody knows right now. With the promo, the HD DVRs are a lot less (something like $199 for one and $99 for the second, and then you get a $10 credit per month for each one for a year).

I asked how much it costs to get out of my contract and essentially, it is about $150. So here are my options - I'd really appreciate any opinions:

1. go with the 4 room DTV package - they only lease equipment now, get free upgrade to at least one DVR, get prices on their HD DVRS. If all else fails, get 2 SD DTV receivers and promo for free HD Tivo box and pay TiVo extra $15 month.

2. I think I can use TiVo with Dish, but am not sure. If I can, I can get same Tivo promo and since I already have one HD receiver, get one more, and 2 TiVo HD recorders and pay extra $15 months for Tivo.

3. Try to stop watching TV, read more books on Rennaissance art history, learn a new skill, like making pastry shells or closet organizing, or volunteer as an usher at the Fox.

Ok. Seriously, please help. I'm frustrated that I told the DIsh it was cheaper to switch then stay and get what I want, and like so many other companies (esp. cell phone companies) the pay grade of the CSRs is so low they don't care.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj /forum/post/0

2. I think I can use TiVo with Dish, but am not sure. If I can, I can get same Tivo promo and since I already have one HD receiver, get one more, and 2 TiVo HD recorders and pay extra $15 months for Tivo.

Yes, you can use Tivo, I do.

I thought you could get the HD DVR for 199 now, maybe thats for new customers only. I may switch the DTV as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They told me $199 was for new customers and customers not under an existing promo, and it MIGHT also cover me, but they wouldn't know until 2/1. Odd how I'll sign up for a longer committment and continue to pay them $120/month for spending only $300 on 2 boxes, and they have no flexibility to find out early and in the end, if I don't qualify, and leave, they lose much more than if they included me. If they could have just told me I can be included, I'd buy their crap and not think about switching. All I got under the eariler promo is one lousy basic HD receiver and I added another room, which means more money for dish. And I've dealt with glitchy DVR issues, faulty HDMI input, and other issues and been with them for something like 5 years.

Maybe DTV does the same thing, but if new gets more benefits, I'll be new with DTV and if in a couple of years its the same game, I'll switch back. I see DTV and Dish as commodities now. I'm sure there are differences, but I'll get all or most of what I want in HD in good quality for about the same price.

There really is no customer loyalty anymore. Dish (and maybe DTV too if they're doing the same thing) need some economists to tell them that in the long run (just for the remainder of the new contract committment), they win if I stay, even if they include me in the promo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I plan on calling Dish tonight and threaten to leave for D* to see if I can get a good deal. D* has the new Nascar package which sounds pretty cool, but I fear it will be SD quality and that wouldnt do so well on a projector. I would love the new HD DVR since it can work with 2 TVs, but dont feel like dropping a couple hundered bones on it. I don't mind signing another committment, I have been happy with Dish for the most part. I am wary about faulty equip, etc if Dish wants me to upgrade all of my receivers to that 211 piece of hardware (need to do research on it still). My existing has DVI out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah...now they seem to be offering the HD DVR's for FREE to new customers...I can't get anyone to confirm that with Dish, but it's really frustrating me. Still working on their customer service department. They've offered it to me for $179 up front with a $50 rebate and a $100 off HD programming over 10 months. Not bad...but not free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.