AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HS10 and I think I have at least two dust blobs. I dont think they are pixel issues because they cover more than one pixel (about thumb size on a 83" diag screen), also, while I cant bring them totally into focus, changing the focus all the way to one end makes the anomally much smaller, sharper and rounder looking. The only reason I wouldnt think its dust is because I've taken the cover off and shot the LCDs with compressed air twice, and they arent going away. Its pretty noticible in dark scenes/movies, as the spots are almost like hotspots, but their not because they change shape and size when I focus/zoom. Am I doing something wrong when I'm trying to blow them off? I thougth it was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yes, it does sound like dust. Could be a smudge ... but I would think that would have been noticed since day1.

Sometimes when cleaning LCD panels you need to get the air nozzle right up to the actual piece of dust to blow it off.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
"Is there any other "safer" way to try and get rid of those blobs without opening the vpj?"

No. 99% of the time you need to blow air directly at the particle for it to leave the LCD panel.

"Will these dust blobs eventually go away with the use of the vpj or they're meant to stay there forever!?"

I have never seen them leave with normal use. Anyone else?

One other note of concern, I have seen 4 times now someones projector literally burst into flames from using canned air while the projector is either still hot or turning it back on quickly after cleaning.

I have also heard of a half-dozen times where damage was done to the LCD panel from the canned air can being tilted when discharging. Thus the cold liquid is sprayed on the panel.

That said ... it really isn't that difficult to clean an LCD panel w/ some compressed or canned air ... you just need to be smart about it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep working on it, but at this point I'm going to have to disagree with this "it really isn't that difficult to clean an LCD panel w/ some compressed or canned air " becuase I've used up a whole can of air and I'm just not getting it. Any way to figure out which panel its on? Oh, as far as why I didnt notice it right away, we are finishing our basement, so I'm assuming some drywall dust or something got in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.