AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 runs of RG-6 going from the rooftop to a distribution point in the basement. It's not possible to run any additional RG-6 cables.

I want to install an Elliptical dish with 2 Dual LNB's so I can distribute the signal to 4 receivers. Is there any way to do this without having 4 runs of RG-6 from the roof to the basement? Is there anyway to combine the signals into 2 lines and then split them back to 4 and then multiswitch the signal between the 4 receivers?

I hope that explaination made sense.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No. You need a seperate RG6 for each receiver going to the multiswitch. There is no way to get around that for a home system.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
No. You need a seperate RG6 for each receiver going to the multiswitch. There is no way to get around that for a home system.
That's not what I'm asking, or maybe I am just misunderstanding your response. I may not have been clear enough.

I am asking how to get all the feeds from a dish with two Dual LNB's down to a multiswitch in the basement for distribution to my receivers with only 2 runs of RG-6 between the rooftop and the basement.

I've been doing some research in past day and here is what I think I need so far...

2 - 2x1 22 kHz Switch's, one for each LNB. Mounted on the roof.

1 - 2x8 22Khz Multiswitch in the basement to distribute the signal.

The only problem I see (and I may be missing something) is that multiswitches that pass the 22Khz signal back to the dish are very rare and hard to come by.

Thanks,

Mark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
macleodm,

That won't work. The 2x8 will lock one input to odd transponders and the other side to even. Going up the odd cable, you will reach the odd 22kHz switch, which can only see either the 101 or 119 at a time.

Now here's a scenario, you turn on receiver 1 and the channel it is tuned to accesses the odd transponders on the 101. Turn on receiver 2 and the channel it would like to view is on the odd transponders on the 119. The odd 22kHz switch can not give you a signal from both the 101 or 119 at the same time, so it essentially gets confused and you get no video.

If you only want to run 2 cables, you need a stacker/destacker. There is extensive discussion of this, and multiswitches in the Directivo section of the Tivo forum here. Also, do a search for unixadm. He has a lot of good posts on multiswitches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.