AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts

I don't want to throw your thread off topic but when I think of banding I think of "color banding" as in a problem displaying gradients. It certainly looks like you have an uneven back light and if that is what is known as banding then I would say yes, can anyone clarify this for me?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Could be banding or could be too high of a backlight setting. Try turning down the backlight closer to it's middle setting and see if the problem goes away. If so, then just adjust brightness and contrast to get to the picture quality you like, try staying away from very high settings on brightness and contrast too for best picture.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Yup, it's banding. Is that a Sony? Don't bother taking it back for another one, it affects most tvs to some degree. The only solutions....

Live with it. For some, it becomes less noticable after a while (no the tv doesn't change, you just get used to it)

Don't watch black screens (but you can usually see it on green, blue, or grey screens, too.)

Buy a Samsung, or Toshiba thin bezel. Consistently the best for being somewhat even in backlighting.

-Jeff

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Why don't you either purchase or rent a DVD Essentials Disk and run the test screens to test for banding instead of testing your backlight so you may distinguish one from the other. They are not the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts