·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo 705. I want it to power my 7.1 system which includes;

FL & FR - Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

C - Paradigm Monitor CC-290 V.6

SL & SR - Paradigm Monitor Mini V.6

SBL & SBR - Paradigm CS-60R-SM V.2 (Ceiling Speakers)

Subwoofer - Velodyne DLS-5000R (Powered)

Will this be to much strain on my receiver?

Will I notice a big difference getting a two channel power amp?

Will my Center channel be drowned out if i use a 2 channel amp?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian oakville /forum/post/16934228

I have an Onkyo 705. I want it to power my 7.1 system which includes;

FL & FR - Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

C - Paradigm Monitor CC-290 V.6

SL & SR - Paradigm Monitor Mini V.6

SBL & SBR - Paradigm CS-60R-SM V.2 (Ceiling Speakers)

Subwoofer - Velodyne DLS-5000R (Powered)

Will this be to much strain on my receiver?

Will I notice a big difference getting a two channel power amp?

Will my Center channel be drowned out if i use a 2 channel amp?

1) No, They are 96db sensitive, 8 ohm. Any AVR could drive these well.

2) You won't notice a difference unless you are clipping your AVR. Unless you are in a very large room or you listen REALLY loud, you should be fine.

3) If you bought a 2 channel amp it would be level matched after running auddysey so you would only have more headroom. Levels would be the same, and taking the strain off of the AVR would provide more power to the other 5 channels.

Unless you are driving your AVR into protection you don't need an amp. The 705 has some power and in your setup would be enough for 98% of the people out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you just saved me some $. You seem to know your stuff so if you dont mind I have a few more quick questions?

Do you think I would benefit from Bi-amping? I listen to 90% home theatre 10% music (if that).

Im am also running zone B to the backyard. Is it possible with the 705 to run a 7.1, run zone b, and bi-amp at the same time?

If so how many channels of extra amps would i need? How would you wire that?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Don't biamp. For one thing, receivers use a shared powered supply so I do see what you gain.

A lot of receivers have a zone pre out, which allows you to add an amp to power a zone rather than using a receiver's internal amps.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The way I bi-amp is use the 110w amp built into the receiver to power the highs and mids in my speakers, and take the pre-out of each channel into a separate amp. Then from the amp, into the speaker to power the lows.

I really dont hear much benefit from bi amping the speakers. I just need to do it this way because when I use my speakers no receiver has anywhere close to the power requirements I need. Honestly, I need to buy a new set of amps to power the highs and mids from instead of my receiver. Cause even my "110w" isn't enough when I use the speakers and I can hear them distort when I push the speakers during use.

So unless you plan on pushing your speakers hard, or set up a really nice bi-amp system with active crossovers, you probably wont need to do bi-amping in your system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts