AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me for this rant, im tired from work... My eyes are strained from my plasma and I've been reading through threads here all day

I own a 50C550, PQ is great, I've gotten past the fact that hardly any Mid range plasma such as this one has "true blacks" like an LCD if you will and my eyes have adjusted to it. I've gotten used to the "horizontal banding" and after almost 100 hours of use (89 to be exact) it seems they are dissapearing or becomming less noticeable.

The one thing I am having trouble getting passed is "juddering and bluring" when watching DirecTV as plasmas don't have the "interpolation/True Motion" that LCD's have, this feature turned on with the low setting on my Vizio doesnt give the Soap effect on direcTV but just reduced the Judder/blur , anything past the low setting brings the soap effect. BUT even without it on the "judder and bluring" doesnt seem nearly as noticeable as my C550.

The Panasonic S2 I owened for 20 minutes had a motion blur feature I belive not sure if it was only for 24p content but said something to that extent, and for the 20 minutes i watched it it dident seem as bad although i may be wrong (i got rid of it because of a defect which casued all the pixels to flash brightly and they could be seen on a black screen from 15ft back bad phosphor im guessing?)

Now Juddering/bluring is not as much of an issue on my HTPC, but i only use that to watch movies and like I said 90% of my viewing is DirecTV

I was looking at the PK550 as another set to try, and from a few online reviews they mentioned the video processing in HD/SD content being much better than some other sets, now is this something that means it may help reduece judder/bluring?

Are there any plasma sets which have some sort of feature like this or what its called in the plasma world? (like the interpolation/true motion)

Maybe I have a defective set? I am not sure.. sometimes it doesnt seem so bad, other times when scenes change whatever it seems 10x worse..

I udnerstand that most "real" HD content has some flicker/judder to it, but this just seems not right to me? My 50inch Toshiba HD Custom Series CRT HDTV doesnt seem to be anywhere near as bad..

Are there any tests I can run to see if its something im goign to have a problem with no matter what or if its just my signal from directv? I don't have a blu ray player unfortunately

I just feel like in fast action its not as "clear" of a picture as everyone seems to say its supposed to be, it doesnt always "look smooth" when a ball flys across the screen or anything..

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can't buy an entry to lower mid level plasma and expect it to perform like a Kuro, not gonna happen. You want better performance, spend more money and step up to a G20, a c7000, etc. All sets at the levels you are looking at will have issues. I have heard that PK550 is a great value though. I see no flicker or judder on my plasma, but it is not in the same class as the plasmas you are discussing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts