AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received what's meant to be a Momitsu DVD-V800 DX player but the box and the back of the player only states DVD-V880.

I got a manual with the player that states DVD-V800 DX but the battery instructions didn't match the remote. Manual said load 2 AAA's. It needed one of the thin round types instead.

I want to connect it up tonight but need to check first I have the Deluxe model before I start connecting the cables etc.

Has anyone got the Deluxe model and can confirm if the DVD-V800 is correct or it should have the DX following it on the box and rear of the player?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
143 Posts
Wow, that is really suspicious. Who did you get it from and did you contact them? Do the menus or the secret menu give any indication of what model you have?

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought it from HKFlix.com which is one of the listed suppliers on Momitsu's web site. Looks like that might have been a big mistake as you can not contact them by telephone and I received no details on who to contact for service or warranty work if I ever need it.

I haven't connected it up yet as I am adding it to an existing system with keeping an old Poi 563A for music only, so I have cables going everywhere. I didn't want to set it all up and then find I have the old model.

It wasn't a major upgrade from the V880 model but I would have thought the outside of the box or the player would have the word Deluxe or DX listed.

· Registered
143 Posts
Well that certainly stinks, considering my 880 DX is on the way from HKflix right now.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have got 2 emails into HKFlix, one from replying to the Confirmation Buy email and another one from their Help icon at their web site. There was a telephone number on the packaging but it only goes to an answer machine with no connection to a real person. This is now on 2 threads so should get some help soon. I will connect it up this weekend if I do not hear from anyone that it's wrong and might find out the model in the menu.

Good luck getting yours. They did ship mine out fast.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine (older v880) has the remote with 2 AAA batteries... not the newer remote (which I would assume uses the "thin round" type).

Only differences between the old and new are: new remote, and a dedicated video DAC for the component outputs.

As you have a new remote, I'm pretty sure you have the new model.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave.

Looks like I have the right remote and with the manual it looks like they only added DX to the cover and forgot to change the battery instructions.

I still think they should have added DX to the DVD-V880 model number on the back of the player.

· Registered
143 Posts
I got mine today. Box has a label that says "Deluxe Advanced Feature Superior Image Quality" on it. Manual says DX, unit does not. Remote has round thin battery. It seems like a DX to me but who knows.

Region 0 and Macrovision off by default out-of-the-box, heh.

So far no problems with component 1080i or DTS optical audio.

I played a PAL DVD in 1080i, and it windowboxed it. Everything else seems fine so far.

I think I just need to bite the bullet and get the Hollow Man SB edition for good testing. The flames looked exceptional on Gladiator, and my Region 2 Love Hina DVD had fewer jaggies (as many anime DVDs do).

More good testing will come, but the TV got hijacked by the woman, who called it "just another DVD player I didn't need," and ranked on and on about how ugly it was. Sigh.

So far not a HUGE improvement from my Denon 1600 but everything is looking good so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.