AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read some posts here that are a few years old that say to ignore DYNAMIC contract ratio because its bs. The problem is that most specs I see on tvs now list this and not the normal contrast ratio. So do I just ignore it now and focus on refresh rate and resoltion?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Yes, ignore the specs. If it's me I'm looking at independent reviews like CNET and others to give me a basis of pros and cons. Then I go to the store and have them play material I'm familiar with. I'm looking for color accuracy, black levels, greyscale, flashlighting and other geometry problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but what if its a model that I cant find locally to look at? I know it might sound crazy to buy a tv without looking at it, but I think alot of people do just that with all the internet sales. In that case do I judge solely on people reviews? This article here says to pretty much ignore ALL the specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-gu...ecs-to-ignore/

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee6 /forum/post/19563259

Thanks, but what if its a model that I cant find locally to look at? I know it might sound crazy to buy a tv without looking at it, but I think alot of people do just that with all the internet sales. In that case do I judge solely on people reviews? This article here says to pretty much ignore ALL the specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-gu...ecs-to-ignore/

I buy lots of stuff (including TVs and other electronics) on-line, but I wouldn't THINK of buying something that I haven't seen in a store no matter where I choose to purchase. I don't know where you live, but unless it's in the absolute middle of nowhere, I'd sure want to see what I was buying before I bought it.

As for "ignoring" contrast ratios and other specifications, I'm not sure I'd go so far as omeletpants and say TOTALLY ignore them, but his advice to do an in-store comparison is certainly valid. I've seen some panels with low contrast ratios that look like s&!t and others that look pretty darn good.

You came to those of us who have been around awhile for advice, so my suggestion stands: GO LOOK AT THE TELEVISIONS IN PERSON. If you buy sight unseen and it doesn't work out, then you have no one to blame but yourself. A TV may have great ratings, but if you don't like it that's on you.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that there are SO many different models that even places like Best Buy dont have all of them on display. Some of the big online sale models I cant go look at because none of the stores I called have them on display.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee6 /forum/post/19563170

Ive read some posts here that are a few years old that say to ignore DYNAMIC contract ratio because its bs. The problem is that most specs I see on tvs now list this and not the normal contrast ratio. So do I just ignore it now and focus on refresh rate and resoltion?

Ignore refresh as well because the quality of motion on LCD is governed by the panel mode (IPS, VA etc.) and the quality of the MCFI algorithm

PS: CR doesn't say much because it doesn't reference the two points. For an example, it just states that the difference between a and b is n:1. So look for reviews that provide static and dynamic black level and white level (e.g. 4333:1 where black is 0.03 and white is 130 cd/m2).

PPS: ATM, S-PVA provide the deepest blacks closely followed by A-MVA. If black level is one of the prime factor, avoid static IPS.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee6 /forum/post/19563474

The problem is that there are SO many different models that even places like Best Buy dont have all of them on display. Some of the big online sale models I cant go look at because none of the stores I called have them on display.

Well, then do what YOU want. If you ask for advice and ignore it, there's not a heck of a lot more we can do for you.

However, I'll say it one more time: I WOULD NOT BUY A TV UNLESS I SAW IT IN PERSON SOMEWHERE FIRST!! As you said, there are SO many models so you should be able to find one that suits your likes and needs. If you buy one on-line and then don't like it, I sure hope you know their return policy before plunking down your money or credit card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts