AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a 40" panel of the title's description and played with it over the weekend. I have the following concerns but as this is my first LCD panel I don't know if these things are O.K. or indicative of problems. Any input will be helpful. The set is connected to a Time Warner provided HD cable box via cabling and coax to Video 2 on the back of the TV (I do not yet have an HDMI cable but its in the plans). I also have a Sony receiver and a Sony DVD player connected.

1) Even with backlighting at minimum I see faint cones of light starting from each corner of the set and expanding toward the center. They only protude into the panel about 6 inches or so and are nearly imperceptible with backlight at min., but increasing the backlight makes them stand out. The top two corners are the most pronounced, the bottom left is a bit less, and the bottom right almost seems a non-issue.

2) The audio from the set does not stay constant across all channels no matter which audio setting I select - a range of channels will be just fine (say channels 2 - 99) and then another range will be nearly silent at the same volume level.

3) The set looks pretty nice at night in a dark room. However, in the daytime, even without any lamps on and no direct outdoor light, I'm having a hard time getting the picture quality to be where I would expect it. The non-HD channels mostly don't look that great, and the HD channels are acceptible but not outstanding.

4) And one test I've been doing in trying to get the best settings is to watch the "fine print" you commonly see at the bottom of commercials to see if I can get that text nice and sharp on both non-HD and HD channels. I've accomplished than on the HD channels but no such luck on the non-HD (which is the vast majority of the channels).

What do you all think?

And THANKS for any help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
well, i just returned a brand new 40v4100 due to light in the upper corners.

mostly it was not noticeable, but when it was, during dark scenes or at night with the lights in the room dim, it really caught my attention.

i decided i was not going to live with looking at that for the next 15 years.

unfortunate, as i was very pleased with the set in all other aspects.

oh, and this was after sony sent me a replacement, that was worse than the original, in every way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update...

1) As to this issue, I've now seen other sets that look worse, I think I got a decent panel and am not bothered by this enough that I would return it - when an image covers the entire panel it is not an issue at all

2) As to the audio - there is an audio leveler in the menu options on the V series. I turned that on and it fixed nearly all channels

3) and 4) I pulled the component video and audio and replaced it with an HDMI cable - problems described in these two items have been resolved.

Now this panel is performing nicely and I'm happy with it. I would recommend it to others but with the qualifications that you should expect some backlight issues, the HDMI input should be used, and that you may need to fool around with many of the settings to get it to where you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.