AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a projector that can do a 106x60 16x9 image and a 80x60 4:3 image. From what I've read, I need to get a native 16x9 projector to do this. Is this correct?

For my source I want to start w/ a prog. scan DVD player and would need to add some type of line doubler for 4:3 sources (VCR, Digital Cable). Any advice here would be welcome (maybe my initial projector will have it built in).

From what I've read in multiple places, the Sanyo XP21N seems like a great projector. How do I find out what other pj's are 16x9 also?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZGator
I want to get a projector that can do a 106x60 16x9 image and a 80x60 4:3 image. From what I've read, I need to get a native 16x9 projector to do this. Is this correct?
Let's just say that constant height is easier with a 16:9 panel. The reason is because if you throw a 16:9 source on a 16:9 panel, no problem. If you throw a 4:3 source on a 16:9 panel, it will generally center the image, side-to-side, within the 16:9 panel, full height, black bars on the side.

On the other hand, if you want constant width, it is easier with a 4:3 projector. Same theory here. If you throw a 4:3 source on a 4:3 panel, no problem. If you throw a 16:9 source on a 4:3 panel, it will generally center the image, top-to-bottom, withing the 4:3 panel, full width, black bars on the top and bottom.

The above description is what you will usually get out-of-the-box. However, some projectors (DILA) have the ability to alter the default scaling behaviors with some additional software. You can also add lenses (ISCO, panamorph) that, for all practical purposes, bend a 4:3 panel into a 16:9 panel. Of course, the you'll need a scaler or HTPC to setup the source correctly.

ProjectorCentral was always my favorite reference for comparing projector details.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So for constant height, the 16x9 is the way to go?

Do the various lense/scaling options "distort" the image? If there were a lense that allowed a 4:3 pj to project a constant height 16x9 image that would open up alot of pj's to consider.

thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wondering...why don't you go for a retubed crt projector? Advantages :no ratio problems, no pixels, no bulbs, 10,000 hours life (that leaves you more than 100 years if you watch a 2 hour film each week), deep blacks and incredible sharpness, hdtv capable.

Drawbacks : noisy,very heavy, ugly, huge, not to be moved around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZGator
So for constant height, the 16x9 is the way to go?
Like I said, it's just easier because that's what the projector will do, on it's own, without any special do-dads.
Quote:

Do the various lense/scaling options "distort" the image? If there were a lense that allowed a 4:3 pj to project a constant height 16x9 image that would open up alot of pj's to consider.
Obviously, the intent of the lense/scaler combination is to result a display with the correct aspect ratio. Bear in mind though, the lense/scaler route can be expensive. If you already plan on using an HTPC, that can be your scaler. The lense will probably be > $1000.

I think it was Mark Hunter (milori) that posted once about how he's basically installed an ISCO lense (on his 4:3 DILA) for all of his viewing. He then tailors the scaler to make the appropriate aspect ratio adjustments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem w/ projector central search is I can't search for 16x9 pj's. I can specify a zoom. If I'm correct, a 1.3x zoom should let me keep constant height as I switch between 4:3 and 16x9 (with more being better as I don't have to place the pj in the all the way zoomed position).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi AZGator,

The projector central website does have a search for projector by resolution. Just ask for WXGA and that should pull all the 1366x768 and 1280x720 projectors in their database. What you won't get is 16x9 projectors lower in resolution than that.

hope it helps,

toon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
AZGator:

When you go to the search, you will see search by feature and then resolution...Just select any one with a "W" in front, there are wide projectors.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Have you thought about 2.35 DVD's?

"Black" bars on top and bottom.

I am trying to do the same thing - constant height for everything.

So far, I think a 16:9 proj is the best. 4:3 is displayed with masking on L & R, 16:9 - well it does that, 2.35 zoomed with panamorph doing it's vertical compression thing. This way I use full panel for everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.