AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Onkyo TR SX706 AV Receiver and a new Epson Home Cinema 1080UB. The Onkyo has an HDMI input for cable/satelite and a coaxial input for the same.

I currently receive Charter Extended basic directly into my somewhat older Toshiba 37" HD TV and it works fine.

Anybody know if I can input the Charter signal directly into the Onkyo and then direct the signal to the Epson, or will I need some kind of cable box?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts
Does the Toshiba have a QAM tuner?

With the coax into the HDTV (unless you use a CableCARD) all you'll get are local HD channels. If you want HD from ESPN, TNT, Discovery, etc., you'll need the cable box (STB).

With an STB, you would run HDMI into the A/V receiver and then to the Toshiba.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply to self: According to Onkyo, I'll need a cable box. Onward and forward to figure that out...

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomberg /forum/post/15526163

Reply to self: According to Onkyo, I'll need a cable box. Onward and forward to figure that out...

Once you have a cable box, just run an HDMI cable to the Onkyo and then a HDMI cable from the Onkyo to the Epson PJ.

The satellite input you saw on the Onkyo is for Sat Radio and the coax in is for FM radio antenna.

I have a 606 and like it. You should really like the 706 - If you can do 7 speakers with a sub, that is the way to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15525960

Does the Toshiba have a QAM tuner?

With the coax into the HDTV (unless you use a CableCARD) all you'll get are local HD channels. If you want HD from ESPN, TNT, Discovery, etc., you'll need the cable box (STB).

With an STB, you would run HDMI into the A/V receiver and then to the Toshiba.

Thanks, but can I buy the set top box, or must I get one from Charter? If I can purchase one, even if it means I won't get all the HD channels, I'd consider doing that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomberg /forum/post/15526831

Thanks, but can I buy the set top box, or must I get one from Charter? If I can purchase one, even if it means I won't get all the HD channels, I'd consider doing that.

Forgot to add: This is a new Home Theater set up: cable to STB (or ??); STB to Onkyo via coax. or HDMI; Onkyo to Epson projector, 20' away,via HDMI. That is where I think I need to go...but what kind of STB or DVR will work??? Only one rented from Charter, or can I purchase one. NOTE: not critical to me to have HDTV. If all I can get is std. definition, with no recording, but that allows me to (legally) bypass having to rent one...I'd likely take that option or consider it (I like options)

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomberg /forum/post/15526888

Forgot to add: This is a new Home Theater set up: cable to STB (or ??); STB to Onkyo via coax. or HDMI; Onkyo to Epson projector, 20' away,via HDMI. That is where I think I need to go...but what kind of STB or DVR will work??? Only one rented from Charter, or can I purchase one. NOTE: not critical to me to have HDTV. If all I can get is std. definition, with no recording, but that allows me to (legally) bypass having to rent one...I'd likely take that option or consider it (I like options)

To get any cable signal to your Epson, you need some type of STB. You would have to check your local cable company's policy, but guessing you need a box from them or buy a TIVO box that can get cable, but if you are looking at low cost, TIVO charges monthly fees or lifetime and you may still need a cable card hence monthly fees from cable company.

Again you can not take coax into your Onkyo and get any type of cable/tv signal. You need to go STB to Onkyo via HDMI, component or some other video signal input. The Onkyo will upscale your video input as long as you go HDMI from it to the PJ.

BTW, if you aren't watching HD cable/TV on the Espon, what is your reason to have a 1080p projector? Movies on DVD/Blueray? That's a pretty sweet PJ.

If you have a computer you can get a QAM/OTA card that could also possibly get you clear digital cable and over the air digital locals via antenna. Those cost around $100. Run video into the Onkyo or straight to the Epson PJ.

If you tell us what your end goal is for the PJ setup, maybe we can give you more options.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomberg /forum/post/15526888

If all I can get is std. definition, with no recording, but that allows me to (legally) bypass having to rent one...I'd likely take that option or consider it (I like options)

Most every VCR built in the last decade or more has a cable-ready analog tuner. You can use one of those to get all your extended basic analog channels. Doesn't even have to work for recording, so long as the tuner still works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15527267

BTW, if you aren't watching HD cable/TV on the Espon, what is your reason to have a 1080p projector? Movies on DVD/Blueray? That's a pretty sweet PJ.

If you tell us what your end goal is for the PJ setup, maybe we can give you more options.

Set up is an Epson 1080UB/Onkyo TX SR706/Panasonic DMP-BD35 w/ HDMI 1.3 w/ Paradigm Studio front, center, surround and sub and an Elite tensioned screen. I got the projector to watch high def movies. I bought the audio for the high quality sound, plus 2-channel listening on the Studio 100s. I plan to check out a few SACD music videos and the like to enjoy the 5.1 system. If 7.1 becomes a format supported by the movie industry, I'll pick up some rears. I don't watch much TV, but if I could set it up to get a cable signal into the Onkyo, per my original question, I might watch a show now and then on the projector, rather than on the Toshiba, which is a 37" CRT that runs at 720.

If you have a computer you can get a QAM/OTA card that could also possibly get you clear digital cable and over the air digital locals via antenna. Those cost around $100. Run video into the Onkyo or straight to the Epson PJ.

I've got a new (2 wks old) Mac Powerbook, as well as access to a couple of older PC laptop's (Dell's) I could scarf up to devote to the cause. How does the QAM/OTA set up work? Does the card plug into an SD or USB slot or something on the Mac or Dell?? Is there some kind of DVA (??) to HDMI conversion needed to get the signal out to the Onkyo or the Epson? If the signal goes right to the Epson, how does the audio get handled. Sounds like I'll need to start searching other forum's for that one!! Last, have no idea how the OTA digital signal is where I live, but I think I know how to find out.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts
With that kind of set up, you definitely need a source for local HD, and probably cable or DBS, too. Local HD is defined as the 7 standard over-the-air (OTA) networks; ABC, CBS, FOX, MyNetworkTV, NBC, PBS, The CW (soon to be 8 with the addition of ION).

Let's get started.

QAM modulation is what cable uses for sending digital HD & SD to end users. An HD cable box is a QAM tuner with conditional access, to let you see all the channels you pay for. Cable does send some HD channels in clear QAM, which means the channels are not encrypted and do not need a conditional access tuner. The clear QAM channels are the local OTA stations in your area, that the cableco carries. Not all cableco's carry all the local OTA stations available in an area. With a QAM tuner, available in regular HDTV's, stand alone tuner boxes, digital TV PC cards, and PC USB tuners, you can connect the cable and get all the local HD your cableco offers. These Clear QAM local HD channels are available with all cable programming packages, even the least expensive ones.

To get additional HD cable channels beyond local HD, you'll need one of two options; an HD cable box or CableCARD host device. The HD cable box has some advantages over a CableCARD, including video on demand, pay per view, and the cable on screen interactive program guide. It also is essentially lifetime warranted by the cableco; if it breaks they replace it at no additional charge. The main disadvantage is the monthly rental fee, which is usually around $10 for one that records; an HD DVR.

For your projector, the stand alone CableCARD host device option right now is the TiVo HD, a digital cable compatible recorder. It accepts the CableCARD which is supplied by the cableco for around $5 per month, and gives the TiVo HD conditional access to all the digital SD & HD channels you subscribe to. The upside of the TiVo HD is that it's a TiVo; if you've ever had a DVR, the TiVo is generally considered the cream of the crop. Very slick user interface and interactive program guide, it can also be upgraded to hold more programming by replacing the hard drive or emptying the hard drive to a PC. The downside of an TiVo HD is the subscription fee, no VOD, no PPV, and you have to pay for it. Check the TiVo web site for details, and there is a very good dedicated TiVo HD topic in the HDTV Recorders Forum.

At some point in the future, a new cable standard called tru2way will supersede the existing CableCARD system. tru2way is a two way conditional access system that will provide everything CableCARD currently does, and also VOD, PPV, and interactive program guides. tru2way HDTV's have just hit the market and it's expected stand alone tru2way boxes will be available sometime in Q3 2009.

As for DBS, there are two choices, Dish & DirecTV. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Dish has lower priced HD only packages, but slightly worse HD image quality compared to DirecTV, which has more sports programming options, including the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket. Depending on where you live, both DBS providers may offer your local HD channels. See the HDTV National Channel Lineup topic in the HDTV Programming Forum for the HD channels both offer. You may also want to look at the HDTV Programming Synopsis, also in the HDTV Programming Forum, for a rundown of HD channels available, because not all HD channels are carried by all providers. With DBS, you'll have access to everything they offer, with cable, it will vary based on your location.

To see how your local cable stacks up against the two DBS providers, for HD image quality and HD channels, check the HDTV Locals Forum, which has topics for all the local TV markets across the country.

The final option is receiving only local Digital TV using an antenna and DTV tuner. The most popular DTV tuner is the Samsung DTB-H260F, and costs about $170. It has both an over-the-air digital TV tuner and Clear QAM cable tuner, if you decide to stay with your existing cable programming. For your application, and if you only want local HD, I would recommend this option over the PC route. The Samsung has HDMI out, which would go into the Onkyo for audio, and out of the Onkyo for video to the Epson. (Any of the cable supplied HD boxes or TiVo HD would be hooked up the same way.)

If you go OTA you'll need to have an antenna, outdoor is recommended, and you'll need to explore what local DTV stations are in your area. In general, you need to be within 50-60 miles of the local DTV stations to receive them with an antenna, but once the system is set up, it's completely free.

There is also a new DTV recorder available called the DTVPal DVR. It will not work with QAM cable. Initial reports are so-so, with many users having problems.

I've probably missed a few things, but this should answer a few of your questions. I hope. Whew.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomberg /forum/post/15530037

I've got a new (2 wks old) Mac Powerbook, as well as access to a couple of older PC laptop's (Dell's) I could scarf up to devote to the cause. How does the QAM/OTA set up work? Does the card plug into an SD or USB slot or something on the Mac or Dell?? Is there some kind of DVA (??) to HDMI conversion needed to get the signal out to the Onkyo or the Epson? If the signal goes right to the Epson, how does the audio get handled. Sounds like I'll need to start searching other forum's for that one!! Last, have no idea how the OTA digital signal is where I live, but I think I know how to find out.

You may want to look over in the computer section to see how people are using a Mac for this application if you want to pursue that avenue. I don't have a Mac.

If you want to use an older PC, you can get USB TV tuners to plug into a laptop PC for less than $100. Many can tune analog Cable as well as QAM and OTA. If you don't care to watch much TV on the PJ that could be a setup and take down type setup for those occasions. You could just use the VGA monitor out port and input to PC/RGB on your Epson. If your computer supports 1920x1080p, you can output that directly to the Epson through the 15 pin computer cable. You would have to go PC audio out to your Onyko.

If you even consider this option, make sure your computers meet the CPU speed specs as some tuners take a lot of horsepower. I would also hook the computer up to the PJ prior to spending any money on tuners to make sure the devices are compatible.

This would be a cheap, portable setup that you could use like a DVR if you have hard drive space.

If you want something more permanent, read through Ken's reply. There is alot of great info there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KenH, BVFan, et al: All you guys are great. Thanks so much for the help. I only wish I could reciprocate. Need any help calculating hydraulic conductivity in sands, navigating the purchase of contaminated industrial property, or advise on maintaining marital harmony with Brazilians...I'm your guy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts