AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to start my new htpc/media center build up that will enable me to playback hddvd/bluray and archive them to my harddrive and record/watch tv. the motherboard i plan on purchasing is the new asus p5e-vm hdmi that supports 1080p by onboard video.

1. does vista media center require a graphics card or will the onboard be ok?

these are some components i have on hand already..

q6600, wd 150gb raptor-x, 2x wd 1tb hdd, lg hddvd/bluray drive, avermedia hd tuner pci-e card, corsair 8gb ram, and corsair 520hx.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would recommend the geforce 8500 or 8600. If you want to run a front end, a lot of them are written in directx, and will fail miserable without a video card. secondly, the ms decoder offloads from the CPU with dxva2 for vista. DXVA2 allows for a whole lot more in terms of image processing, but most importantly, a db update won't cause a glitch in your playback. You can get them cheap online.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
For HDMI-based video cards, since ATI/AMD has sound as well as video coming from their DVI-HDMI adapter, I'd go with an HD 3 series card. Preferably an HD 3870, if not, at least an HD 3850.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diehardii - what are the following: db? DXVA2? front end?

8IronBob - so you are saying i would still need a graphics card even though i wont be gaming on the pc?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry AP2. The db is a database update. Depending on the software you choose and the number of media files, updating this can be computationally expensive. A front end is Mediaportal, MCE, Sage, etc. As for DXVA2, the video card handles all/most of the decoding. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXVA

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would a 2600xt be sufficient for most HD playback, including x264 files? I currently have a MSI K9AGM2-FIH with an AMD 5600+ and experiencing some slowdown playing back 1080p files.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 2600xt is great for most acceleration of HD files, but x264 encodes at 1080p are proving to be some trouble. I don't beleive this is an issue with the graphics card, but more with the software decoder used looking at only to [email protected]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn.. i purchased the p5e-vm hdmi board thinking i would not need a graphics card
just curious though, i thought everyone on the this forum rants and raves about this boards cause it has onbaord video that supports 1080 and has a hdmi out. i guess ill look into getting a 512mb 8600gt that is hdcp compliant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes I would most definately pick up the 8600 GT/GTS etc. I also have the p5E-VM HDMI I bought it under the premise that it would be able to handle everything I was extremely unimpressed with the quality of both the graphics and sound from the on board chipsets how anyone can tolerate them is beyond me. SO after getting really frustrated, I ended up getting the 8800 GTS for video and an HT Omega Claro Plus+ for HD Audio.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey ps-aux, what issues are you having with it? im currently running this board and i have yet to have any issues with it. everything seems to be working awesome with no compliants! although, i am running a auzentech prelude so i cant really talk onboard sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts