AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a 75u (1200 Ansi, 400:1 LCD) and will view on a 92" wide video format screen (120" diag). There will be some casual viewing with some ambient light (say just enough to read) and critical viewing in near total darkness.

What advantage will the grey material (e.g., Firehawk) give and during what viewing.

Will the improvement be more pronounced with more or less ambient light.

Are the effects "dramatic" or a "tweak". I know this is subjective, but I'd appreciate any thoughts as the price difference is large. I.e., a dalite cosmo electrol is about 700, but about $1000 more if tensioned with the HCCV material.

Is it worth it?

db

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been testing a few different grey materials for a screen. I have a Sanyo XW15 with a 300:1 contrast ratios, so blacks are definitely a weak point.

By using a grey screen you enhance blacks but also you decrease brightness and a little of the "pop" of whites. From what I have used I would say the difference in black level is major (15% in my opinion) an FLD filter adds another 5%. However in terms of brightness you lose about 5% on the brightness end.

You only notice the brightness difference when comparing a white screen side by side with a grey, so once you go grey there is no going back. For a difference of $300 I would definitely go for a grey screen, the improvement in black levels is well worth it.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.