AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to a post from a few days ago. I've got service from Dish, with a single LNB dish aimed at 119. I've now subscribed to Direct to get HBO and HDNet with my DTC100.

A first try at using both receivers at once wasn't too successful. I used a splitter rated for 2gig, with a DC block in one leg. I was able to check signal strength (too weak for HDNet and lots of dropouts with HBO-HD) for both systems, but when I switched to programming on Direct, I lost signal on the Dish system.

I'm going to tweak the system this weekend to try to get both systems up and running, but I'm guessing that just splitting the signal won't work. Is this what switches are for?

Any suggestions? While I'm at it, should I just install a dual LNB and run a lead to each system? Any differences between Dish and Direct LNBs? I just saw that Dishdepot has a dual LNB on sale this week that I could buy if it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie - Pat

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well while I'm tapping into a Dish lnb at 119 for DirecTv also, my set up is more complicated than what you're trying to do. Not sure why what you're trying wouldnt work as is though. You do have DC blocked on the DirecTv side right?

As far as signal strength and dropouts, whats your strength reading with the Dish receiver on 119 currently? One my setup even though my Dish box reads a strength of 100 or so, the DirecTv box will only read about 65-70 for the 2 Transponders that matter for HD (23, 25) at my location.

Beyond all that it would certainly seem that the dual lnb approach would be your best bet, in conjunction with tweaking your dish if necessary to get better strength for DirecTv even if it means losing a few points on the Dish side.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Okay, if i understand your set up you have one 18 inch round dish pointed at 119 W with a single output LNB. A single output LNB can only serve one receiver. No manner of splitter can change this. Your optiona are 1. purchase a dual oput LNB and feed one receiver from each each output. Or 2. if you plan on having more recivers buy a dual output LNB and multiswitches. The bottom line is a single output LNB wil only provide programming to one receiver from one satellite and nothging more.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Since you already have a Dish Network dish, you need a Dish Network LNB. Electrically it is identical to DirecTV's models but Dish's mounting arm has a slight curve on top and a DirecTV model LNB may not fight correctly.

-Robert

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. I have credit card in hand. Maybe one last question: In the old BUD days, there was a temperature spec for LNBs, and the lower the temp, the better the performance. Is there any performance difference between LNBs these days? Dishdepot has an RCA "SK series" dual LNB listed which is touted as a high performance model. Aside from mounting issues, any thoughts on whether to go that route? Thanks again - Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.