AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I keep my subwoofer turned down throughout the day since it scares the kid 😬

Excited to give these a shot. Hoping the SVS works out for me since I got it for under $300. Will be my first time having a 3-way center channel at home so hoping that makes the big difference for me.

Reactions: camarosstwins

·
Registered
289 Posts
Curious how you like the ELAC compared to the SVS. I have the ELAC paired with the ELAC Uni-fi towers and I am considering trying something different. May just be upgraditis. I also have it paired with a Denon AVR, but my front 3 are powered by a Monolith amp with the Denon owning processing and surround power.

My opinion of the ELAC center is that it is a very accurate speaker. Tweaking Dialogue you can take it to the moon and overpower everything else and it has good clarity. I just feel like it has room to be more captivating and interesting. All of the sound is there and it can get loud, but I think it could be more immersive. I'm a newbie so I won't pretend to throw out fancy terms, but it sounds like a nice speaker sitting 11 feet away, not like I'm there and feeling it. My room is large, 20x30 with the screen and fronts built diagonally into one of the corners. Vaulted ceilings, open on one side, you name it. I may just need a little more speaker to try to compensate for the space. I have 2x SVS PC-2000 subs, ELAC on walls, Elac atmos modules x2, and Definitive 9040s for rear surrounds.

My current considerations -
Emotiva C2 (for $400 bucks it's hard not to try)
Ascend Horizon (I worry a little about how the Raal tweeter matches to ELAC towers)
or
Tekton Impact Center (just because I have an interest in swapping the ELAC towers to Impact Monitors or Compact Enzo towers)
Ascend Horizon x 3 for front LCR duty could also be interesting.

I am unfortunately height limited for the L/R channels at 39" due to the space available with the built in. Previous owner built it and it's a beautifully crafted, cherry wood set up that I just can't bring myself to cut up too bad. I don't have the talent to change it and make it look as good.
It's not clear, are you using the 2.0 Uni-Fi or the original Uni-fi ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not clear, are you using the 2.0 Uni-Fi or the original Uni-fi ?
Good call. I have the UC51 which is the original. I had seen the Debut 2.0, but didn't realize they also did a Uni-fi 2.0 series. They also have the pricier Carina and Vela with the JET ribbon tweeter. Interesting. My towers are also 1.0's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Received the ELAC yesterday. Thing is waaaay bigger than my old Pioneer cabinet.

Ran Audyssey and checked the EQ, looks a lot different than the old center channel:

Only gave it a listen for two episodes of Ted Lasso last night, but the men’s voices in that show were much much cleaner and more articulated with this speaker, from all three seating locations in the room. I also was able to disable the +10db Dialogue boost I was running with the old one, and the channel level on this one is about 3db lower than the old one too.

So far I’m impressed. Gonna give it more of a workout this weekend and then next week I’ll hook up the SVS and give that one a run through.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Watched Gladiator last night on UHDBD (great looking and sounding disk). My receiver seemed to run out of steam with all 7 channels driven around 82db according to my phone app SPL meter. I was cranking it more than I normally do, mainly to test the limits of my system and the PB 1000 I’m testing. I usually don’t go much louder than 75db peak. Aside from when I was overdriving my system, the ELAC is absolutely wonderful sounding. Whispers and soft voices come across beautifully, the colosseum announcer guy’s yelling grainy voice sounded like he was shouting into an arena (or at least what I imagine that would sound like), and most importantly, moderately deep male voices were actually audible. The SVS is going to have to at least match this to stand a chance, hoping for it though, since it’s a good deal cheaper.

Side question, given that this ELAC has a concentric driver for tweeter and midrange, does pointing the tweeter at ear level matter? I’d love to be able to ditch the foam pad I’m using to point it up at my seating position.

Reactions: Goyle99

·
Registered
289 Posts
looking forward to the comparison ! Kinda like the new kid in town vs Wyatt Earp. 😁

·
Registered
32 Posts
Watched Gladiator last night on UHDBD (great looking and sounding disk). My receiver seemed to run out of steam with all 7 channels driven around 82db according to my phone app SPL meter. I was cranking it more than I normally do, mainly to test the limits of my system and the PB 1000 I’m testing. I usually don’t go much louder than 75db peak. Aside from when I was overdriving my system, the ELAC is absolutely wonderful sounding. Whispers and soft voices come across beautifully, the colosseum announcer guy’s yelling grainy voice sounded like he was shouting into an arena (or at least what I imagine that would sound like), and most importantly, moderately deep male voices were actually audible. The SVS is going to have to at least match this to stand a chance, hoping for it though, since it’s a good deal cheaper.

Side question, given that this ELAC has a concentric driver for tweeter and midrange, does pointing the tweeter at ear level matter? I’d love to be able to ditch the foam pad I’m using to point it up at my seating position.
Delete

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
How is the center placed in your setup? Let's rule out a possible placement issue before considering a new center. A pic or 2 would be helpful.
I really should have listened to this advice. I saw on a thread on reddit someone talking about pulling your speakers forward so the baffle isn't against the bottom of the cabinet. I remembered that my old Philharmonic center was push back on the cabinet, mainly for aesthetics reasons. Last night I hooked the original center channel back up and pulled it forward to the edge of my cabinet, re-ran Audyssey (using the app now so I can save profiles as I test speakers and subs). Popped on the problematic episode of Ted Lasso and the voices were much, much cleaner. I watched the first 20 or so minutes of Gladiator as well since that was my most recent watch, and the old center channel performed admirably. Gonna keep it around for a few days with the new positioning, but I think this really was just a placement issue all along.

Here's the EQ from Audyssey with better placement:

And the old EQ with it pushed far back:

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I really should have listened to this advice. I saw on a thread on reddit someone talking about pulling your speakers forward so the baffle isn't against the bottom of the cabinet. I remembered that my old Philharmonic center was push back on the cabinet, mainly for aesthetics reasons. Last night I hooked the original center channel back up and pulled it forward to the edge of my cabinet, re-ran Audyssey (using the app now so I can save profiles as I test speakers and subs). Popped on the problematic episode of Ted Lasso and the voices were much, much cleaner. I watched the first 20 or so minutes of Gladiator as well since that was my most recent watch, and the old center channel performed admirably. Gonna keep it around for a few days with the new positioning, but I think this really was just a placement issue all along.

View attachment 3078115

View attachment 3078116
I'm glad it turned out to be an easy fix. Proper placement and calibration are often overlooked as the root cause of crappy sound.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Don't get me wrong, the Elac was still better than my old center, but I now don't feel like I need to drop $350 on a new center. Now maybe I can get dual 10" subs, or a single 12"

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the Elac was still better than my old center, but I now don't feel like I need to drop $350 on a new center. Now maybe I can get dual 10" subs, or a single 12"
So are you keeping the old PA cc, or the UC52?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So are you keeping the old PA cc, or the UC52?
Gonna give the PA another couple of days to just make sure what I heard last night continues to be the case, but otherwise yeah I'll return the ELAC and the SVS. I still plan on upgrading my front stage eventually, but not until I move into a bigger place next year.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gonna give the PA another couple of days to just make sure what I heard last night continues to be the case, but otherwise yeah I'll return the ELAC and the SVS. I still plan on upgrading my front stage eventually, but not until I move into a bigger place next year.
Did you connect the SVS center to compare ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yeah, placement is pretty important, especially the CC - I've seen it more than once where someone exclaimed how much better their CC sounded when they simply brought it up to be flush with the front edge of their TV cabinet.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,257 Posts

View attachment 3078115

View attachment 3078116
Wow + 10 dB eq up top. That means 10x more power will be dumped(or attempted) into your center at those frequencies! Yikes. I prefer to limit Audyssey correction to below 500 Hz or so in part for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Wow + 10 dB eq up top. That means 10x more power will be dumped(or attempted) into your center at those frequencies! Yikes. I prefer to limit Audyssey correction to below 500 Hz or so in part for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve seen the 500Hz thing talked about, but never had the app to do that. Gonna look into it once I settle on a center and sub

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Did you connect the SVS center to compare ?
I hooked up the SVS Prime Center last night and gave it a listen on a few different scenes from movies I’m familiar with, and then hooked the PA center back up and watched the same scenes. I found the SVS to be a bit worse than the PA. The SVS sounded a little bit more like a box under my TV, you know the whole “the speakers disappear” cliche. The SVS had a harder time making me forget the sound was coming from it. The SVS really seemed to struggle with Joaquin Phoenix’s voice during a scene at the beginning of Gladiator, but the PA and the ELAC handled that much better, with the ELAC making it sound the most lifelike.

Of the three, I’d take the ELAC UC52 easily. It was clearer and more dynamic (in my setup at least), and “disappeared” more easily. Beneath that I’d rank the PA. It’s not as good as the ELAC in reproducing shouting voices, or people straining their voice, or as good at reproducing whispers. The ELAC was incredible with soft and whispering voices. In last I’d place the SVS.

Considering the ELAC is only $50 more than the SVS, that $50 goes a long way to making a better speaker in my opinion. The thing is huuuuge though.

I’ll probably eventually buy this ELAC and the matching bookshelves once I’m ready to replace my whole front stage, but for now, after correcting the placement issues, I’m happy with keeping my PA center.

Thanks for the help and advice everybody!

note: I level matched the center channels I tested to be 2-3db louder than L/R in all of my tests. All tests were done with Audyssey room correction enabled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is very interesting. Thanks for doing the comparison. I hadn‘t thought the Elac Unifi 2.0 speakers would be a great HT speaker, but it sounds like they do fine. I’m looking to buy three bookshelves for my LCR, so I’ll add these to my list.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts