AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm so confused that I wouldn't even know where to start looking for answers.

Here's what I have-

Samsung 52"

3 HDMI sources (only two of which contain audio - one is PC)

2 component sources

Yamaha 5.1 receiver and speakers

Here's the problem-

No surround sound from the HDMI inputs. The TV manual says it won't pass through HDMI digital audio, despite having a digital audio output.


From what I understand, I need a new receiver that does HDMI switching.

Here are my concerns with that-

Receivers with that many inputs are expensive

I lose my TV's switching and features (special configuration for each source)


It seems kind of pointless for the TV to have built in switching if you're required to have a receiver with switching... and vis versa. Are there any other options? Receiver recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
you need to be more specific about your sources and your current AVR.....Most should have optical/coaxial outputs in addition to their HDMI outs, correct? If so, you may be able to utilize these for lossy codecs.....For BR you will need a player capable of decoding the Lossless codecs and sending it in various ways depending on your current AVR.


You may not "need" a new AVR at all......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Here's my exact setup...

Xbox 360 -> HDMI -> TV -> RCA r&w -> receiver (stereo)

PS3 -> HDMI -> TV (ignored)

PS3 -> optical -> receiver (surround for games, stereo for blu-ray)

PC -> DVI-HDMI -> TV (no sound)

PC -> RCA spdif -> receiver (surround)

Wii -> component -> TV -> RCA -> receiver (stereo)

Xbox -> component -> TV -> RCA -> receiver (stereo)


The problems with this setup are in red above. I don't think my receiver has two optical inputs - if it does, I can solve the 360 problem with an optical cable. However, that still leaves me with the blu-ray issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Yeah, the PS3 mandates a HDMI AVR if you want to get the new Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA codecs.....Your options are to replace the PS3 with a decoding BR player or purchase a HDMI AVR if you want to stick with the PS3.


You said your AVR only has one optical input, does it also have just one coaxial input? They do make coaxial/optical converters. From the sound of it, you have a pretty limited AVR, does it have multi channel analog inputs? F R C SR SL SW inputs? If not, even a stand alone BR player that can decode the codecs would be useless to you.


In the end, it sounds as if, even if you get this to work for you short term you may be better served by upgrading your AVR....Something with at least two digital inputs for your PC and X Box and two or three HDMI inputs to serve future upgrades.....Many on here like the Onkyo 606 or the Yamaha RXV-663 for modest investments that return all the new codecs and HDMI switching capability.


Using optical for the PS3 should be getting you at least Dolby Digital now.....Not just stereo, do you have the PS3 set up properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS /forum/post/15562999


Yeah, the PS3 mandates a HDMI AVR if you want to get the new Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA codecs.....Your options are to replace the PS3 with a decoding BR player or purchase a HDMI AVR if you want to stick with the PS3.

What do those codecs do that is different from what you mention below?

Quote:
You said your AVR only has one optical input, does it have a coaxial input? They do make coaxial/optical converters. From the sound of it, you have a pretty limited AVR, does it have multi channel analog inputs? F R C SR SL SW inputs? If not, even a stand alone BR player that can decode the codecs would be useless to you.

I just looked up the manual - apparently I have two or three optical inputs, which is somewhat reassuring... I still don't particularly want to buy the cables for that, but it's better than buying a new AVR. FWIW, I have a Yamaha HTR-5560.

Quote:
In the end, it sounds as if, even if you get this to work for you short term you may be better served by upgrading your AVR....Something with at least two digital inputs for your PC and X Box and two or three HDMI inputs to serve future upgrades.....Many on here like the Onkyo 606 or the Yamaha RXV-663 for modest investments that return all the new codecs and HDMI switching capability.

I'll check into those, thanks.

Quote:
Using optical for the PS3 should be getting you at least Dolby Digital now.....Not just stereo, do you have the PS3 set up properly?

Yes, I double checked the settings... for whatever reason, the receiver says it's receiving stereo. So blu-ray should be playing surround, you say? At least now that I know it's possible, I will mess around some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, both of those receivers are pretty expensive. The Onkyo doesn't have enough component inputs, and the Yamaha doesn't have enough HDMI inputs...


That's kind of what I was afraid of. I would gladly give up all of the s-video and composite inputs... do people actually still use that crap?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I've never used my PS3 with optical out, but my understanding is the PS3 passes DD over the optical out.....check in the PS3 thread for proper settings, I'm not sure what they would be. But, yes, you should be getting at least DD over optical out.


DTS-MA and Doly True-HD are the newer lossless codecs found on BR discs, they are the latest and greatest improvements and upgrades to the typical Dolby Digital(DD). The improvement is debateable and I wont get into telling you one is night and day better than the other, but there is a subtle improvement IMO.


If you are content with the more typical DD, you can make your current AVR work for you. The PC, XBox and the PS3 could all be run optical/coaxial to your current AVR and provide at least DD.....the next cheapest upgrade would be to buy a stand alone BR player that decodes the new codecs and sends them over multi channel analog out, then you would send BR to your AVR's analog ins and your current sources via optical/coaxial. This would give you the newer codecs and work in the short term.....Of course it would leave you with both the PS3 and a stand alone BR player, do you play games on the PS3?


The better upgrade path, IMO, would be to keep the PS3 for both games and BR and upgrade your AVR. A stand alone player will cost you at least $200 and thats a good chunk of what the AVR's listed above would cost you anyway. A new AVR leaves you with many options in the future that your current AVR couldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtravar /forum/post/15563172


Yikes, both of those receivers are pretty expensive. The Onkyo doesn't have enough component inputs, and the Yamaha doesn't have enough HDMI inputs...


That's kind of what I was afraid of.

Are you happy with just getting Dolby Digital? If so, then you should be getting surround sound with all your current components via optical/coaxial. Check over in the PS3 thread for the proper settings for sending Dolby Digital over optical out.....There are great people in that thread and they will help you out if a search doesn't yield the exact settings. I'm sure this topic has been covered many times in there, there are lots of people with PS3's in your shoes as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Looked up your AVR.....you have four optical ins(one on front) and one coaxial digital in. You also have pre outs and multi channel ins, so you could use a stand alone player that decodes the new Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA. Just food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtravar /forum/post/15562910


Thanks for the reply. Here's my exact setup...

Xbox 360 -> HDMI -> TV -> RCA r&w -> receiver (stereo)

PS3 -> HDMI -> TV (ignored)

PS3 -> optical -> receiver (surround for games, stereo for blu-ray)

PC -> DVI-HDMI -> TV (no sound)

PC -> RCA spdif -> receiver (surround)

Wii -> component -> TV -> RCA -> receiver (stereo)

Xbox -> component -> TV -> RCA -> receiver (stereo)


The problems with this setup are in red above. I don't think my receiver has two optical inputs - if it does, I can solve the 360 problem with an optical cable. However, that still leaves me with the blu-ray issue.

Set your Ps3 to bitstream & check Dolby Digital & Dts for output.


Does your Tv have optical out?

If so, I know this is shunned upon but you can send the Audio from the PS3 & 360 to the TV via hdmi and send a optical cablefrom the tv to the AVR. This will give you Dolby/DTS for your PS3,360 and OTA Programing. I think the original Xbox has optical out, so you can use the optical cable you freed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesthegreat /forum/post/15566350


Set your Ps3 to bitstream & check Dolby Digital & Dts for output.


Does your Tv have optical out?

If so, I know this is shunned upon but you can send the Audio from the PS3 & 360 to the TV via hdmi and send a optical cablefrom the tv to the AVR. This will give you Dolby/DTS for your PS3,360 and OTA Programing. I think the original Xbox has optical out, so you can use the optical cable you freed up.

This is what my TV says about its optical output:
Quote:
When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

Pretty stupid, huh.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top