AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 4 Sony SS X9S speakers, a SS CNX7S centre speaker and a SA W70ES Sub. I am currently designing a Home Theatre Room and just wondering whether or not to keep these speakers and add to them to make a 7.1 or 9.1 set up? I would guess the age of them would be about 12 years old?

What receiver should I get to run them through? I dont have much experience, so would be grateful for any advice and help.

This is the link to the manuals with specs for them.
4 floor standers
Sub
Centre

The home theatre room on the house design is currently an 'intimate' 4.5m x 4.03m and 2.55m high. I plan on running a projector for a display of about 2.54m (100")

Thanks

Dale

This is a duplicate of another thread I made in the wrong forum section (Sorry mods)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Since you already have this system what do you think of the sound quality ?

If you are satisified then you are satisified and you are good to to go.

On the other hand if you are not happy with what you have there are certainly better speakers available.

Like all things though there is a price to be paid.

You gave your room dimensions so that is good. just to check on that you have a room that is 4.5m x 4m,,, is that correct ?

I think a 100" screen in that size of room is going to be to big, just my opinion.

By the time you put a chair in the room you will only be 3m away from the screen 100 inches is very big to only be 9 ft back.

OK, on to the sound system...

First, before anything else is discussed what are your goals (movie theater quality sound, or are you more or less happy with the Sony speakers you have).

Second what is your total budget for audio (this is for the receiver, speakers, and sub) ?

Third (before proceding with recomendations) will be to get your budget and goals aligned.

Plenty of help will be offered up, but budget will dictate everything (including goals).

If you have looked at the forum you have seen literally hundreds of threads .... What is the best I can get for xxx $$$ your situation is not going to be any different.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
^^^^ Also where are you located... it makes a difference on what is readily available ^^^^

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Your sub is by far the weakest point in your setup. You would benefit greatly from a new one. Where you are located will dictate what we can suggest for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your help. Firstly, I am located in Australia.

The dimensions are correct. 4.5m x 4m by 2.55m high.

The amount I'm willing to spend in total on components for my HT set up is no more than $15000. I want to buy a decent projector and am looking at something like the Sony VPL-VW95ES as it is reported to be excellent for gaming which is what I will be doing probably 60 - 70% of the time on it. It is reported to be really good 2D and a little dim in 3D so might look at getting a decent screen with maybe a 1.4 gain on it? I was looking at the 100" for cinemascope so playing 16:9 movies and games will bring the size down a bit? I really need to do a mock screen up in a spare room somewhere to see how big it is when sitting so close.

I realise there is much better quality audio out there, and at the moment ignorance is bliss I guess. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to other setups that better mine, so I guess I don't know what I am missing out on.

The main reason I was contemplating adding to the set up was for the immersive surround effect playing games on PS3 and PC. PLUS the current speakers were left to me when my dad passed away, but I can certainly use them in the living room instead. I would like the whole cinema experience, so there is no point I believe in spending all my money on just video and having a sub par audio. How much should I be looking at to get that cinema experience?(or just a fraction less) I have seen threads on what is best bang for "said $", but I really want to know what is going to get me that wow factor when my wife walks in and says, "OK so why did this cost "said $"...

So long story short, after video component, I would look at having about $7k left. (But if I can justify it, I could stretch after negotiating with the minister for war and finances)

Thanks for your help.

Dale

I had considered going in wall speakers but really would like best performance for $.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is that in AU $? Do a search on what's available component wide in your area. I feel in my humble opinion that you can get awesome sound for HALF what you want to pay! By the way...I envy you!! Land of the Southern Sky (i'm an amature astronomer) an land of the band Icehouse!!

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha yeah it is a great country and great side of the world to live on, although I still haven't ventured past SE Asia yet! But in due time I will make it to the north.

Yeah that is AU $, which is about on par with US at the moment which is good for my situation at the moment. My particular area is 4 hrs from the city so I would get much better deals if I travelled to source a decent set up and a lot more choice without paying through the nose for it. Thats the main reason for hitting the forums is I really don't know what $ I am looking at for a good set up (will be after amp/receiver too) and want to have a bit of an idea when going to a shop to listen.

Thanks

Dale

Oh and there are many great bands from Aus that never make it over seas. Its a shame really because the world dont know what they are missing out on in that regard. Icehouse rate up there in probably top 20...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
NHT makes excellent speakers, and they have a website for Australia where you can purchase speakers. Either their NH-CLATB towers or Classic Three bookshelves would be excellent for front L/R speakers. Then get the NH-CL3CB center, and some of the smaller bookshelves for rears (Classic Twos or Absolute Zeros).

For a sub, one of the most highly recommended subs on the AVS subwoofer forum is the SVS PB12-NSD . Here's is a review , and SVS lists an Australian distributor on their website . Going from the Sony sub you have to the PB12 will be likely upgrading from a moped to a Harley in total power and overall audio sound quality experience

For receivers, look for Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz with at least Audyssey MultiEQ, which is room correction EQ software that will set the timing and channel levels for your setup, but also make some EQ adjustments to accommodate for room acoustics, including EQing the sub (which not all room correction software on receivers does).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks cel, that sub definitely seems like value for money after readinga few reviews. Im trying to get through as many threads as possible at the moments on speakers and recommended set ups. Seems that there is a bit of divided opinions with regard to benefits of 9, 7 and 5 channel set ups. Just makes things so confusing without experiencing it all for myself. I haven't seen much about the NHT brand so will look into those as well. AS well as researching receivers... Think I just need to take it a little slowly. Im doing my head in sitting here reading review after review and thread after thread...

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
At their price point here in the US, the NHTs are comparable in SQ to the best alternatives. However, the one downside to them is that they need more power to drive them. If you are hoping to build a loud HT setup, better if you can find speakers with sensitivity of 90db or more.

I saw a couple of dealers online in Australia that have Paradigm speakers. Those have a nice sound, although here their subwoofers tend to be much less of a price/performance value than the SVS subs. For instance, the Paradigm SE Speaker package on this page looks very interesting, although the 10" sealed sub won't have near the output of a 12" ported sub like the SVS PB12-NSD. Probably nice sound, just not much SPL.

Do you have any high end audio stores near you? If so, your best bet is to go listen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to search around for a store, as my old man used to go to one in particular that has closed down, and I have recently moved out of the area. I think its going to be my only option to go to a store with a complete audio set up I can listen to. I am the sort of person who starts researching my price point and keeps finding their way to reference quality and wondering how I can market that to my wife.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You dont know my wife!

I have a tactic though. Show her all of the 'OMG that is more than my annual salary' speaker to the 'more affordable' better than average speakers that I want.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemissen  /t/1415952/do-i-need-a-new-speaker-set-up-or-will-this-do#post_22140294

You dont know my wife!

I have a tactic though. Show her all of the 'OMG that is more than my annual salary' speaker to the 'more affordable' better than average speakers that I want.
Tried that with my wife. She was too smart for that tactic!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky for me I don't have to worry about that!

Its already working. I was showing her the KEF reference series and she told me to 'keep dreaming, you aren't spending any more than half that!' So I am making progress!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Sweet! Your wife is easIer than mine!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemissen  /t/1415952/do-i-need-a-new-speaker-set-up-or-will-this-do#post_22140308

Its already working. I was showing her the KEF reference series and she told me to 'keep dreaming, you aren't spending any more than half that!' So I am making progress!

That's a good strategy. Then try to pick out two different sets of speakers, and then ask which she likes. That way she gets to choose the aesthetics that she prefers. Then later on once installed and they sound good, compliment her on her good choice to prep her for being positive about later purchases

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol Yeah nice one cel. I will do that. Great idea. I think I am going to put the Q900 7.1 package on the shortlist. But will They be too much for my room and throw the balance out?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts