Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Really dumb newbie question.

I am located in California and have a multi-region DVD player with an NTSC TV. I am thinking about ordering some DVDs from the UK (region 2). Will region 2 DVDs be viewable on my TV or will I need a PAL TV set to view these? I know that my multi-region DVD player will play the disc but will the image be distorted since I have an NTSC TV or is the video info on the DVD independent of PAL vs NTSC?

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
What you need is a region-free DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC. Some region-free models do this while others do not. What model do you have?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Code Free Pioneer DV-45A ELITE DVD Player

And I just read a notice at the webstore where I bought it that I will need a TV that can also play PAL as this player does not automatically convert. Oh well....that answers my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I would recommend using a DVD player that doesn't convert the signal, with a multisystem TV or projector (most projectors are multisystem compatible). I envy your Pioneer Elite DV45 ....

My experience is that DVD players that convert PAL discs to NTSC generate a terrible picture.

Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade my player, and bought a high-end JVC changer unit, with progressive scan and DVD audio. I wasn't aware that the player converted the PAL discs to NTSC when playing. The first time I put a PAL disc in it, I got a terrible headache watching it on my 120" projection screen. It was just unwatchable. Unfortunately, there was no way to turn off the conversion in the player. I ended up returning it.

I kept my 3 year old Panasonic RV60 DVD player, which doesn't convert the signal. To this day I still use its non-progressive s-video output (it doesn't have component out), and it is very good. The projector (Sanyo PLV-Z1) does the deinterlacing, which works for either PAL or NTSC.

FYI, for anyone interested in a multisystem TV, I have a Sony 32" wega multisystem TV from 2000 for sale. Specs are at planet3000.com /MSTV_SONY_kv-32fx60_DTL.shtml . I will deliver it in California. I will include a 220V transformer and two SCART conversion cables. The only reason I'm not keeping it is that I upgraded to a projector setup. Private message me with an offer if interested.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you've been lusting after plasma, this is yet another reason. Most if not all plasmas play back both NTSC and PAL.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

In the UK it's possible to purchase a cheap ($50ish) ntsc to pal converter. It's possible/probable that you could buy a similar product from an electronics store that will convert pal to ntsc. It might be a little harder to source such a device in the US, since there is less of a need for it but some of the larger internet suppliers (Markertek ?) will probably have something. It might not be a great conversion (most of these devices only take composite video) but it might allow you to watch the R2 discs that you want.

Brian

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
There are outboard PAL-to-NTSC convertors available in the US, but they tend to be expensive and to produce terrible picture artifacts. You would be better off spending the money to buy a good PAL-to-NTSC DVD player such as the Malata DVP-520 or the JVC SA600.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Strange they still manufacture NTSC only TVs. I think it would be cheaper to produce multi system TVs (like video projectors) than seperate PAL/NTSC versions. Where I live (the Netherlands) most TVs are multi system nowadays. Same goes for DVD players.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a Pioneer 343 that has a modification to play all regions. We thought about buying a multisystem tv but found a converter at bhphotovideo.com. The cost was 179.95. You can do a search on their site for this item: AVT1660. It has SVHS and RCA connections.

Keith

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
buy pioneer 563, it does pal to ntsc also pal prog, it plays r0 pal discs, i have not found region free hack yet!

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nisei
Strange they still manufacture NTSC only TVs. I think it would be cheaper to produce multi system TVs (like video projectors) than seperate PAL/NTSC versions. Where I live (the Netherlands) most TVs are multi system nowadays. Same goes for DVD players.
It is a deliberate decision by the US manufacturers to discourage people from importing electronics goods.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nisei,

The reason why there are virtually no NTSC TV's that play PAL while the other way around is quite common is that technically spoken NTSC is a subset of PAL. You can easily convert a PAL TV into NTSC by not using part of the electronics while the other way around you need to put in extra stuff. It will be very unlikely that that will be done because it would mean a price increase.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beun
Nisei,

The reason why there are virtually no NTSC TV's that play PAL while the other way around is quite common is that technically spoken NTSC is a subset of PAL. You can easily convert a PAL TV into NTSC by not using part of the electronics while the other way around you need to put in extra stuff. It will be very unlikely that that will be done because it would mean a price increase.
I see what you mean but that still means they have to have 2 production lines instead of one which I doubt is cheaper than producing just the multi system tv. I have never noticed TV's being more expensive in PAL regions than they are in the US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.