AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AudioSource AMP-100. I do like it a lot. However, I am struggling to enjoy it in the manner I intended to use it.

I am feeding it with a Slim Devices (Logitech) Squeezebox. I am using it to power two book shelf speakers.

The problem I have is that I have to turn the volume WAY UP on the squeezebox in order for the AudioSource AMP-100 to start producing output.

Just for kicks, I plugged my wireless mic into input two and it is the same issue.

I'm guessing that I am not gettinng enough voltage (1vp2p?) to the amp?

Is this likely the issue? If it is, would a pre amp get me where I want to be?

If not? what could the problem be?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What's the voltage out from squeezebox, and what's the amp's input sensitivity?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
It may be the the Squeezbox line out isn't strong enough. But I am really surprised that it isn't working. The level of signal out of your Squeezbox should be at the same level as a consumer/prosumer pre-amp.

Do you have an MP3 player? You could get a mini-jack to RCA cable and plug into the amp. Did you purchase the amp locally? Do you have a home A/V receiver with pre-amp outs? You could try hooking up to that also.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The AMP100 has a 2nd line level in. Have you tried that? I am assuming you have, but it needs asked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Ha! I knew it couldn't be so easy.

I don't know the answer to those questions, but I'll get them and report back, thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The company says the output is a "Full 6.0Vpp line-level". I did order a pre amp, I'll report back if it helps. Also, it was suggested I use input two on the AudioSource because input one is designed to drop with the slightest loss in input (two allow input two to override) so I'll re-visit input two tonight.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
How many real watts does this amp put out in bridged mode? Is it really 150? If so, then this could be a good cheap method to amp main speakers...simply buy 3 for the front speakers, for example.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The user 'John in Denver' was using Audio Source amps to power his system, I think. You could message him for details if you were interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I feel like a fool. I thought for sure I had tested input Two, but apparently not. I moved it to input two last night and it is working perfectly, just as suspected and just as I had envisioned for my setup. I am now happy with my setup!

Thanks guys, I am grateful for your thoughts and ideas that helped me get this resolved!

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts