AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Optoma H78DC3. Will this benefit from an external scalar like a DVDO or Lumagen? I will be watching mostly SD Dish and DVD (via a yet-to-be purchased or decided upon player).

I was previously looking at getting an Infocus 7210 and was told that it would not be necessary.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is a great question that I also would like an answer to. If a person has a projector with a good line doubler and scaler will he still benefit enough to justify purchasing an Iscan HD+ or similar? I have a Panasonic AE700 and I can tell you it does a very nice job of scaling and line doubling, at least compared to what I had been using. My old setup was supposedly among the best at the time but both the DVD player and the RPTV suffered from CUE and just didn't do as nice a job as my Panasonic.

Sorry for rambling on in your thread. I think we're both essentially looking for the same answer.

Stace

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nobody "needs" a scaler ... it's just something nice to have. :)

Back to the question, I use my Lumagen for source swiching ... if you don't need it, you have one less reason.

Outboard scalers usually (but not necessarily) has more picture controls (RGB gain/bias and greyscale ...) than those built-in on projectors/DVDPs.

There may also be times when the outboard scaler will deinterlace/scale with less artifacts. I was told that InFocus tweaks the Faroudja chip in 7200/7205/7210 better than Denon 3910 ... less artifacts, so anyone getting these projectors don't probably need an outboard one.

Other than these, I couldn't think of any reason why anyone would need a scaler.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
The biggest advantage I think you would get with something like a Lumagen or iScan would be 48Hz playback for DVD film based material. I know it works with an SDI modded DVD player through an iScan HD+ and going [email protected] to the Optoma, but not sure if the iScan will do 48Hz output from any other SD input (I know it won't work for HD).

--Darin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of delving into the FP arena myself. (Nothing as nice as the H78DC3, maybe an H27 or H31)

From an image improvement standpoint, Is it worth investing in a decent scaler (The DVDO stuff comes to mind) with lower end projectors? Assuming the sub 2k projector realm continues to improve at such a torrid pace, I'd be tempted to upgrade PJ's every 2 years or so. Current scalers can improve image quality for multiple resolutions (480p, 720p, etc..) so in theory I could get image improvements from the same scaler even after projector upgrades (from a native 480p pj to 720p etc...).

On the other hand, sub 2k pj scalers could blow by a current external solution in a couple years. Completely invalidating my theory on maximizing scaler value ;)

Sorry if this is off topic, seems like the closest match for this rant/question

Any input from some grizzled veterans to this newbie's first post?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hai,

How much a scaler can help on a h7x depends on things like input signal, how well the h7x is setup etc etc. I personally use and love the hd+ on my h78 and for more input read this information on the projector forum where someone (tomhoffman) tested alot of direct, upscaling dvd players against a h79hd+ setup with real results including screen shots :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=5&pp=30

Hope this helps,

Daniel.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Even the WSR of the H79 recommended the use of an external scaler. I personally use a iSCAN HD with my H79. SJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.