AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a terrific DVD player with fantastic scaling, do I need a scaler for my G-15???

The only other thing Ii plan to watch is HDTV.

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Good question! I have never hooked up a premium progressive scan DVD player to my G15. I am hoping to send a 480p image to it via my new Dreamcast VGA adapter this week. I am curious to see how it fares.

I have read posts that have said the DILA looked great with a Progressive Scan DVD player and I have read some that were mixed on their impressions. I'm sure that doesn't help you much though.

I really do love the ease of use of my current DVD player on my RPTV so I think I know where you are coming from.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think that some confusion is at play here... you DVD may produce a great picture and the DILA may be doing a good job scaling the source but your DVD does not have a great scaler unless it has a Cinematrix mod or similar...

You should try the setup and see if it is objectionable to you (everyones tolerance level is different) but my gut feeling would be.. Why spend all that money on a DILA and not power it with the best signal source you can get ??? Dont waste valuable bulb hours with OK playback... demo a scaler or better yet a good, well setup HTPC...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cain,

It all depends on your budget. A good progressive scan DVD player can be had for very little these days. The improvement is large compared to an interlaced player. I went through all three stages, an interlaced player, a progressive player, then finally the HTPC for my G11. Of course the PC is by far the best for DVD, not to mention the plethora of other things a PC is good(yes, and sometimes bad)for. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why not just use the "EDTV" setting on the JVC? Isn't this 480P and wont' that match standard DVD progressive output? Can someone explain to me why you would need a scaler in this instance?

------------------

Paul W. Hinson

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.